Plasma vs LCD - Need help A.S.A.P.

Arkadiy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrong again...

no TV is truely HD unless it's resolution is 1080p (1920 x 1200)

but like they say, ignorance is bliss

Why would you need 1200 lines of resolution to display 1080 lines of resolution progressively?

1080p - The picture is 1920x1080 - 60 complete frames per second.

Also sdy, you just linked to an HDTV with a resolution of 1024x768, might wanna delete post #8.

Edited by GameGuru1

Why would you need 1200 lines of resolution to display 1080 lines of resolution progressively?

1080p - The picture is 1920x1080 - 60 complete frames per second.

Also sdy, you just linked to an HDTV with a resolution of 1024x768, might wanna delete post #8.

whoops, i meant 1080, my mistake

and he can't afford a 1080p television, cuz they're all +2k

but thanks for trying to make me look bad :)

Stay away from Plasmas...LCD are the way to go.

If you don't want to spend too much money, 1080p Westinghouse 42" TV's can be had for around $1,300, but they don't have the best panel.

To find the best TV for you, go to a display area or store and compare all the different TVs.

Toshiba's are nice, Sony's are nice, Samsung's are nice, etc.

On a more personal note, I can't wait for the 1440p TVs to come out. If they are cheap enough, and have a low enough dot pitch, I may get one as a computer monitor.

This would be a better choice is True HD and similar price but i would say before jumping in a buying anything go and look at the screens up close and personal otherwise you could find yourself with a $1200 piece of junk

the 1000:1 contrast ratio is kinda crappy.

i'd go with that plasma i linked to over that sceptre any day of the week, even if it is 500 more

Stay away from Plasmas...LCD are the way to go.

I'd like to hear your reasons why

Edited by sdy284

I am also looking to invest in an hdtv some time in the next 6 or so months.

From what ive gathered in my small amount of research, plasma has a short life span, and im looking for something to last like, up to 10 years maybe, so thats out of the question i guess.

Rear projection looks alright. My dad has got one, and it seems good.

Not sure. ive got a 360, which goes right up to 1080p from what ive heard. Not that i need that. I'll be getting an HD pvr, not sure the resolution that has.....

Anyway, so theres my setup. Watching movies, tv, and playing my 360 and wii. What do i need. lol.

Thanks.

Oh by the way. Im looking at around 37", willing to go down to 32" and im on a budget of around 1000 bucks, but i could probably bump that up to around 1100-1200.

Thanks again.

In my opinion, they are overrated.

What do they have over LCD's? More colors? Does that matter?

:lol: :lol:

seriously? you need to learn a few things.

its a little thing called contrast ratio. the contrast ratio on plasma's are huge like 10000:1 vs LCD's are like 1200:1

a low contrast ratio indicates that blacks truly won't be "black" resulting in a greyish or faded out image.

put a black background on a CRT and then on a LCD monitor & view them in a dark room. Notice anything?

the LCD looks grey, while teh CRT actually looks black

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrast_ratio

For me, I like using my LCD TV as an extra monitor to game on, but if it were a plasma I wouldn't do it due to burn-in. Thats just the main reason i stay away from them.

You're only going to burn in a monitor if you have a static image for hours & hours & hours.

if yuo're gaming for a few hours here & a few hours there, then it doesn't matter

I'd go plasma over LCD for teh contrast alone

And Blue Cow...

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learning..._flatpanel.html

so even on the "low end" of 30000 hours, thats 1250 DAYS of continuous use. thats a LOT of time

this might be helpful for some people also

http://www.onecall.com/HDTVWizard.aspx

Edited by sdy284

So I went to Costco saw the picture the TV had (the LCD one) and my mouth dropped. It was standing next to a $3,000 Sony and I would take this one over the Sony any day. And Vizio has been making a name for itself recently and give them a while longer, they will be a big company in the HDTV market. Oh and I saw some of the TVs you guys recommended and this one looked better than most of em. Some of the ones that looked better cost $2k+ and that is WAY to overkill for me. So you guys have really high standards but that isn't me.