Children's foreheads slashed

sdy284

Guys, you realize that these are the Shiite minority right? As in, not all Muslims do this.... I believe most radicals are also Shiites. They make up like 2% of the Islam faith....

The Sunni majority are much more civilized and understanding in terms of there rituals and faith. And it also depends on where you live... Iran for example

Edited by The Unforgivin

Similar stuff happens with a lot of tribes. It's a religious thing.

No, this is a CULTURAL thing. The religion does NOT advocate slicing your head open, or anyone else's, for that matter.

Like Unforgivin said, Shiites are not only a minority, but the specific sect within Shiism that performs these sort of acts comprises of even fewer people. Heck, look at the article for proof that this is a very rare occurrence:

Lebanon's top Shiite cleric, Ayatollah Mohammed Hussein Fadlallah, has banned bloodletting during Ashura, even for adults.

Clerics in mainly Shiite Iran forbid it as well, saying the practice is un-Islamic because it harms the body.

It's CNN, so OBVIOUSLY they're going to blow something like this out of proportion just because blood and religion is involved.

I have heard about this, and I think the same as sdy, savan and ccokeman. However, I have also read what Kash posted, so I am not sure if this is some fanatics that want to hold on to their weird practice. If they want to do it to themselves, I couldn't care less, but doing this to children is just wrong!

said he has done cuttings on boys as young as 1-month-old
:blink: :blink:

Yeah, I agree with everyone else...if this was voluntary, then okay, sure go cut yourself, whatever. But this is just barbarian.

You guys have to realize that a good portion of this world's population still lives in what we would consider barbaric societies. In fact, a lot of these sort of actions occur in what would seem to be a civilized country. Of course, each respective nation has tried to eradicate such acts, but it's hard when you have a lack of education.

Heck, you can find backwards people right here in the good ol' US of A. Sure, blindly following the Bible in spite of scientific evidence isn't nearly as bad as cutting a kid's head, but the similar fact is that they're both old ways of thinking that have survived into the modern world. Look at India, seems to be doing pretty well nowadays, right? Well, go into the rural villages and you'll find things like female infanticide, tribal justice systems, and a whole lot of other rather horrifying things.

All these throwbacks to ancient customs and traditions occur only because people don't know any better. Culture is much more easily passed on than proper education because it's reinforced even by the most illiterate person in a town/village. Like the article said, the fathers doing this to their sons are reasoning that it was done to them as children by their fathers and so they must continue the practice. It's a vicious cycle that can only be broken by proper education to the masses.