Case Zapping!

Pretty sure that is the case discharging static on to YOU. One time I had my hand in back of one of my older comps, and I was searching for a port with my had as I couldn't see back there, and my had come upon the vga port and I had it there several seconds while I was being shocked (I couldn't move it). Lol, pretty funny experience. It was plugged in and on, btw. My hand was slightly numb for a few days after.

It was most definatly 120V ;)

i cant figure it out :( its like the grounding pin on the plug ient plugged in but it is... and i have changed the power bar i cant figure it out :(

Tried a different power lead, from the socket to the computer? Probably quite unlikely the earth wire has 'come loose' within the power cable but... you never know I guess :s

Edited by markiemrboo

Tried a different power lead, from the socket to the computer? Probably quite unlikely the earth wire has 'come loose' within the power cable but... you never know I guess :s

i tried diffrent plugs, but maybe a new power bar... ill get one next time im out :)

My guess is that your house wiring may not be grounded properly. Especially if the house is older with old wiring. Chances are you may have 3 prong outlets with wiring for 2 prong outlets because someone went through and just replace the receptacles without updating anything else.

maybe just a simple case of static electricity discharge perhaps? use the computer a bit and after a while touch the metal part of your desk? do you get shocked then? if not then see if you get shocked while touching the case. if you do, then you know it's the case for sure. this process of elemination at least isolates the source in some way :P

I'm with kurosen on this one. With the cold and dry air at this time of year i get zapped just rolling my chair around to do work on the folding farm. I move about 2 feet back and forth every time i hit metal.

I'm with kurosen on this one. With the cold and dry air at this time of year i get zapped just rolling my chair around to do work on the folding farm. I move about 2 feet back and forth every time i hit metal.

those are the magic words. 120v would be a little more painful i reckon...but then I have never been electrocuted. thankfully. i do know that this sort of static is caused by friction of carpet, rolling chairs, scuffing soles etc etc...

those are the magic words. 120v would be a little more painful i reckon...but then I have never been electrocuted. thankfully. i do know that this sort of static is caused by friction of carpet, rolling chairs, scuffing soles etc etc...
Stacic electricity would be one quick discharge not a prolonged "electrocution"...

Stacic electricity would be one quick discharge not a prolonged "electrocution"...

i dont remember reading that it was prolonged, hence "zap". you'd certainly know if it was prolonged, but maybe i take that for granted seeing as in the UK everything is at 240v...