new car

Misuta_Yancha

so I just recently bought this car and I found what looks similar to a turbo charger, but I didn't think that turbos were attached to the serpintine belt. however there is intake and exaust running through it and it makes that whirring sound that a turbo makes.

the reason I am asking is because I bought the car from a used car dealership and they said nothing of a turbo (not that I am complaining if it is) and I can't find anything about a turbo in the manual and I did a search online and the isn't supposed to come from the factory with a turbo

the car is an acura RSX s-type 2002

any help will be much appreciated

post-16626-1169661880_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

weird, I think it might be but to be honest I am not sure... but for reference:

984358974.209379642.IM1.09.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

thats a picture of under the hood of a stock 2002 RSX s-type...

so it does lead me to believe its a turbo... or something.....

You, my friend, are absolutely right. A turbo would have no use for a belt-driven pully. However, it does make sense that what you're looking at is some form of forced-induction. What you've got there is a supercharger! The Jackson Racing logo gives it away. You can find info here.

wait, I keep turning my head trying to look at the engine the other way under the hood :) keep forgetting it's a tranverse mounted 4 cyl for a front wheel drive!

I can't place what it is (don't deal with turbos at all). I'm gonna try sending the pic on to one of my mechanics and see what he thinks it is (he's versed in that kinda stuff). but if that doesn't help I'd say find some sort of part number on it and throw it out there in google.

*reads bigred's post and points to verran's*

superchargers are relatively popular on those cars - manly because they run high compression stock so a turbo would require a rebuild for some decent boost. so - superchargers on 'em can get 7-8 psi and not break anything :)

Indeed, superchargers are rather popular. Generally, they're more of a "bolt on" solution, plus, they relieve basically all of the "turbo-lag" that turbos are known for. Turbos only provide power at high RPMs, and unless you're a big-time high speed racer, the low RPM power of a supercharger is probably more desirable. A lot of guys that run Solo-1 sort of racing find them to be very beneficial since there aren't a lot of straights.

Congrats on your "bonus" supercharger. Maybe the dealer didn't even know about it, or maybe they didn't care. Either way, it should make your car a lot more responsive off the line. I'd try to figure out what kind of boost it's running though, so you know what you're really doing to your motor. Chances are it's running like 8lbs or less and you're fine, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

*reads bigred's post and points to verran's*

superchargers are relatively popular on those cars - manly because they run high compression stock so a turbo would require a rebuild for some decent boost. so - superchargers on 'em can get 7-8 psi and not break anything :)

yeah yeah, he posted while I was still typing

Now thats one of those"in-the barn" kinda finds, sometimes you never know what your getting, even from a dealership...

My question is this though:

Why wouldn't you have noticed at at the dealership?

One of the first things you do when buying a used vehicle is pop the hood...

Why wouldn't you have noticed at at the dealership?

I agree. It seems odd that you wouldn't notice it. Though to be fair... If you don't know what the stock manifold should look like, the supercharger looks fairly stock. JRSC's are known for high quality without a whole ton of modification. The install looks pretty close to stock really. Plus, the Jackson logo is fairly stealthy if you don't know it.

Either way, enjoy the extra horses! :)

I agree. It seems odd that you wouldn't notice it. Though to be fair... If you don't know what the stock manifold should look like, the supercharger looks fairly stock.

:withstupid:

I've looked under plenty of hoods in my day, and I probably wouldn't have given that a second thought. Morseo because I'm used to 8 cylinders and a crapload of space in the engine compartment. I would think that supercharger was a fancy stock manifold.

Either way, enjoy it! :thumbs-up: