Do Walkie Talkies Really Work This Far?

Queenz

Huh, I've always thought those "privacy" channels just blocked out everyone elses convos, but they could still here you? Or am I just plain slow today...
For all i know they could... ? I always thought that each privacy code was a revision of the main frequency and the walkie talkie locked into it as a main channel but it was actually like 50.15Mhz instead of 50?

I dont really know, all i know is that it works...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on my experience, my guess is that you won't be able to talk, but your gf will :lol:

QFT

By me, there is a thing called a land phone. What it is is a phone that plugs into the wall (not always to charge either...)!

QFT

By me, there is a thing called a land phone. What it is is a phone that plugs into the wall (not always to charge either...)!

I know that its just me and her can't talk on the phone on weekdays and want to have a little voice to voice communication whenever we feel like it during the weekday so that is why I bought the walkie talkies

GMRS requires an FCC license. I'd suggest NOT using it without one.

and I'm sorry if you two can't afford to paying your own cell bills... then you aren't old / responsible enough to be "dating"

GMRS requires an FCC license. I'd suggest NOT using it without one.

and I'm sorry if you two can't afford to paying your own cell bills... then you aren't old / responsible enough to be "dating"

we are responsible its just I am waiting to hear from the boss at my local grocery store that said he will give me the job, and she is doing something else but not the same job.

Edited by QueenzPCfreak90

we are responsible its just I am waiting to hear from the boss at my local grocery store that said he will give me the job, and she is doing something else but not the same job.

yeah, when you joined hadn't you just quit a job at a hotel because it wasn't what you wanted to do? if so it's been a LONG time for a responsible "wannabe" adult to go without a job.

Those won't cut it in terms of range. Their output is severely limited in comparison to "realworld" equipment. I have 110 watt output from my mobile radios with a in-car repeater for when I only have my 5 watt output portable radio. Granted it's overkill for something like "talking to my girlfriend", but I don't use it for that. It has real world public safety use. Phones, VOIP programs, etc are better solutions. 10 miles is REALLY pushing the limits in terms of what those can do. Under perfect conditions, line of site, and with all the moons lined up, sure.

is that just NYC or is that US in general?

over here, we have 8 channels and 39 sub-channels... so 312 in total...

Ive got GMRS/FRS walkie talkies that have 836 available channel's (22 main by 38 privacy)

Huh, I've always thought those "privacy" channels just blocked out everyone elses convos, but they could still here you? Or am I just plain slow today...

For all i know they could... ? I always thought that each privacy code was a revision of the main frequency and the walkie talkie locked into it as a main channel but it was actually like 50.15Mhz instead of 50?

I dont really know, all i know is that it works...

So the way the whole "privacy" thing works.

The "privacy" channels are just sub-audible tones that are transmitted while you hold your Push-To-Talk button down. Essentially it's like a gate to a field. If you have the right key, your radio will open the "gate" and play the audio across the speaker. If it doesn't have the right key, your radio stays silent. Metaphorically speaking, the "key" is that privacy channel/code. The problem with these codes is that if someone is in "CSQ" (Carrier Squelch - the term for when no "privacy code" is used) they can listen to any conversation even though you won't hear them if they start talking.

So it's not that you have "X" amount of private channels, because if everyone selected "Channel 1" and chose different privacy codes with a buddy having your code in his radio, you all couldn't talk at the same time. All the privacy codes do is block you from hearing other people without "your code"....

So really, it's not private at all.... :lol:

If you really wanna do the whole radio thing, you could get your Amateur Radio Technician license through the FCC...