UFC Discussion

skinny

What did you think of the franklin fight?

Franklin didn't appear to be quite as impressive as I remember him being pre-Sylva, but he still looked pretty good. Definitely showed that MacDonald has a few more fights to go before being considered in the upper echelon of the sport.

And I just realized that I will miss the next PPV (April 7), because that is my wedding day (for those that know me, yes, I am already married, its a long story...). But anyway, I will not be watching that one live. As much as my wife enjoys watching UFC, I guess that's not in the plans for that day.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are reports that at UFC 71 its going to be Liddell vs Jackson seems a little quick to me.... I was hoping to see a couple of more fights with Jackson before their rematch.

There are reports that at UFC 71 its going to be Liddell vs Jackson seems a little quick to me.... I was hoping to see a couple of more fights with Jackson before their rematch.

The problem is that they are stuck on trying to offer at least one title fight per month. The little guys aren't big enough names to be a big draw for a PPV, GSP gets hurt too much training to be able to defend his title regularly (his last two or three fights have all been delayed due to training injuries), there are not enough top contenders to keep Sylva's fights from being reminiscent of late 80's Mike Tyson (12 second wins in a 5 round title fight? not the way to win fans), and there is no way Couture is defending again in under three months. However, Liddell could fight monthly, and keep winning and putting on good shows. But they are struggling to find good fighters for him to face too. Jackson might not be ready quite yet, but after losing this one (their second fight), it would make for even better PPV sales for Liddell/Jackson 3.

There seems to be a very large jump in talent in some of the weight classes. For Heavyweights, Couture was a stop-gap. They needed someone to come back and fight before Crocop gets the title. And once Crocop gets it, then they need to find someone who can challenge him, and its not Couture. I think they figured Herring would be the guy, but he has looked horrible so far. In Welterweights, after GSP and Hughes (maybe Penn if he even fights again), it drops off pretty significantly. In Middleweights, Sylva, Franklin, Swick (yes, I think he is ready for a title shot already). For as many fighters as the UFC is showcasing right now, they just don't have enough title-worthy guys. Thats why they keep stealing guys away from Pride.

As far as I know Penn has changed weight classes thats why he is on TUF with Pulvar........

Ya there seems to be a little in the way of challanging fighters, I hope that Tito gets back in sooner or later.

I think the heavyweight is the worse class right now.........

I am assuming you guys have heard that UFC has purchased Pride and the two will now merge? This is going to be INSANE! Just think of the matchups that will be possible now with all of those fighters coming from PRIDE. I cannot wait :D

• 2 weeks later...

Talk about upsets......

Never thought Serra would beat GSP and in the first round to boot........ But its nice to see a guy like Serra win after what he did on TUF..... GSP will be back I feel sorry for his opponent if he is on his game.

The Sanchez fight what a joke and the push at the weigh in come on give me a break. He looked like a complete moron when the fight was over. I think he was scared and didn't want to get to close.

Swick fight I had a feeling he was going to lose hopefully he will come back better and get the win....

Talk about upsets......

Never thought Serra would beat GSP and in the first round to boot........ But its nice to see a guy like Serra win after what he did on TUF..... GSP will be back I feel sorry for his opponent if he is on his game.

The Sanchez fight what a joke and the push at the weigh in come on give me a break. He looked like a complete moron when the fight was over. I think he was scared and didn't want to get to close.

Swick fight I had a feeling he was going to lose hopefully he will come back better and get the win....

Yeah that was a very unexpected upset Serra pulled off, I couldn't believe it! The rest of the fights seemed pretty boring to me but at least we have the next UFC to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...
What a night, Cro Cop getting knocked out that was a huge surprise never seen a head kick coming wow............ :blink:

Yeah suffice it to say I am completely shocked. Mirko did not look like himself at all and he obviously had no game plan going in the fight either. I think the elbows really dazed him and when he got up he couldn't focus very well. They don't allow elbows where he fought before so he doesn't have much defense for them. Crocop is weird like that he totally dominates and then all of a sudden he gets KO'd and has to start all over again. This is the 3rd time it has happened to him but all his other fights he just kills everybody. I feel sorry for his next opponent though because every time this happens he comes back stronger than ever. I hope he gets a rematch with Gonzaga down the road and shows him the real CroCop.

I think part of it was he never had a chance to set up you could see him trying to get set but then he was rushed so I think that kinda of through him off his game plan a little. But you are right he didn't seem to be the same that we were expecting I dunno why seems odd..... I can't believe his leg and ankle was not broken when he went down.

What did you think of the Bisping fight?