UFC Discussion

skinny

Now I checked it out the day it came out. I am with you about who does it, it seems it gets better and better every PPV.

UFC 68 should be good as well, Hughes, Franklin are both supposed to be on that card. I am intrested as to how they fair since both losing their belts.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Travis Lutter failed the weight so now its a non title fight :(

I think the weigh in should be done the day of the fight not the day before....

Oh well hopefully it will still be a decent show.

Well it was a pretty decent event, I thought Jackson seemed a bit timid and not his usual self but he pulled out the win anyway. I was surprised with Lutter I actually thought he was going to pull off the upset for a minute there (can you imagine how pissed he would be had he won for not making weight) but Silva is a tough man. Sanchez had no business in the ring with Cro Cop and looked like a fool, all his backing up kinda made me dizzy.

Ya Lutter looked good there at one point, if the champ didn't have such long arms I think it may have been over.

Lutter never made it to the post fight interview so I dunno what that was all about.

Ya jackson was a little standoffish at first but I was impressed.....

Cro cop wow that guy is pretty good you could tell he was just toying with him at the end.....

Did you see the two young guys go at in at the end of the night man that was a wicked fight one of the best I have ever seen. :)

Ya Lutter looked good there at one point, if the champ didn't have such long arms I think it may have been over.

Lutter never made it to the post fight interview so I dunno what that was all about.

Ya jackson was a little standoffish at first but I was impressed.....

Cro cop wow that guy is pretty good you could tell he was just toying with him at the end.....

Did you see the two young guys go at in at the end of the night man that was a wicked fight one of the best I have ever seen. :)

I think Silva was playing with Lutter to make the fight look a little better, appease an already pissed-off crowd. I don't think he was ever seriously in trouble. I also thought that the rule about the downward striking elbow, which is what ended the fight, was in reference to the motion in relation to the strikers body, not in relation to the floor/ceiling. There were a few questionable non-calls during that fight.

Jackson just looked nervous, his skills looked the same as always, not real technical, just makes things work.

Cro Cop looked like a total professional, about what you would expect from an anti-terrost commando from Croatia. Zero emotion, zero fear, just go in, do the job, and leave.

The last fight of the night that they showed was the best one, very balanced fight, lots of reversals, good skill, all attack, not much defence. Wish all fights were like that.

All in all, I was slightly disappointed in this card. The Jackson fight wasn't bad, but was slightly boring. Cro Cop was impressive, but the fight wasn't much to watch (like a cat stalking a mouse, you know who is going to win, just not how messy it will get at the end), and the Silva fight was a disappointment from the start because it didn't mean anything.

Now on to next month, can't wait to see Mr. MacDonald take on Franklin. See just how good his ground game really is. That is pretty much the only fight I care about on that card.

Well Travis Lutter failed the weight so now its a non title fight :(

I think the weigh in should be done the day of the fight not the day before....

Oh well hopefully it will still be a decent show.

I understand some of the reason for the weigh-ins happening the day before, but don't agree with it. I think this is going to happen more and more as guys are trying to cut more and more weight to give themselves an advantage in a fight. Some of these guys are fighting at 15 pounds or more above their weight class, which goes against the whole point of weight classes. I think they should have a weigh-in the day before, with zero tolerance for overweight, and on fight day, make them weigh in again, give them 2 pounds, in case they eat the wrong thing, or drink too much water. that way, when fighting for the 185 lb title, you are watching two 185 lb fighters, not two guys that managed to dehydrate themselves down to 185, but actually weigh 205-210.

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming. Two weeks away. Yes, still early, but any predictions?

T. Sylvia / R. Couture

C. Lyttle / M. Hughes

R. Franklin / J. MacDonald

J. Lambert / R. Sobral (Babalu)

R. Holman / M. Hammill

and 4 other fights with guys I have never heard of. Here's my breakdown:

Skill-wise, I think Couture is better. Even after retirement, he kept training and coaching. While not training for active fighting could have been hard on his cardio, the rest would be good for his body. His wrestling skills are unreal. The only problem is, he needs to get inside Sylvia's massive wingspan to do any damage. Many have tried, not many have succeeded. While I think Sylvia has to be looked at as favorite, I think experience will win. Couture, by decision.

Hughes needs to make a statement after getting taken to school by St. Pierre. I have a feeling that this one will last about as long as Hughes / Gracie. Hughes, first round knockout.

My prediction for the fight of the night. Everyone knows that Franklin is good. People are just starting to see how good MacDonald could be. Franklin, like Hughes, has something to prove. While a very well-rounded fighter, I don't think Franklin is as good on the ground, or has the fitness level that MacDonald has. I have to go with my Canadian boy, MacDonald, by submission in the second round.

And I am going to get lazy on the last two I listed. Babalu and Hammill.

Edited by skinny

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few days to go :)

T. Sylvia / R. Couture I dunno if Randy can pull it off if he did I would be very suprised. I would go with Sylvia in the Second Round.

C. Lyttle / M. Hughes - I hope Matt comes back with the drive to win, I would say Hughes first round.

R. Franklin / J. MacDonald - This has all the Potential in the world to be a show stopper..... If I would have to choose I would say Franklin by decision.

J. Lambert / R. Sobral (Babalu) If Babalu brings his a game I would say first or second round submission.

R. Holman / M. Hammill - This I think will be an intresting fight for both guys, I hope that Hammill has a good fight.

Jon Fitch / Luigi Fioravanti - Fitch is won his last 4 in a row if he can keep it up it will be number 5.

Gleison Tibau / Jason Dent - I have not seen much from these two, but I was impressed with Dent's performance at UFC 63.

Jason Gilliam / Jamie Varner - I am going to go with Gilliam on this one.

Drew McFedries / Martin Kampmann - I am going with Kampmann....

It should be an intresting night and I am looking forward to it :)

All I have to say is WOW......

Sylvia / Couture man this was a fight and 5 rounds to boot. Couture just picked him apart despite giving up 40 pounds, less height and less reach.

Man the first round I thought that was it, Sylvia was lucky that he was able to get up. I never though Randy was ever in any serious trouble.

Franklin and MacDonald - I see Franklin came back in old form which I was hoping for I am glad he got the win.

Lyttle / Hughes - I was not impressed with Hughes at all, but I was impressed with Lyttle's survival skills you very rarely see someone on the ground against hughes not get beaten to a pulp. Lyttle may have not done to much on the ground in offense but his defense was very impressive.

Hughes was fighting to not lose, he wasn't fighting to win. He was being overly cautious, not taking any chances, and did not show any of the strength that he has been known for. I wasn't impressed with him at all.

Couture on the other hand, wow, what a fight. Sylvia might be bigger and stronger, but with that added size comes a lot less speed. He practically looked sedated compared to Couture. That fight was never in doubt.