Tagan 900 watt ps

just pc r900 case

seagate barracuda 7200.10 320 gb

and then with vista home

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good but unless they have changed there ram quality corsair ram isn't that good i've used it in the past and it has not worked out that well. Also I know evga makes good video cards but don't know how good there motherboards are. For that price you may want to consider getting a raid set up 10,000 rpm hardrives. You may also want to hold off with building because the new quad core cpus are some what around the corner.

yeah, everything that i have read says that evga's mobo is the best out there right now for sli, and the ram brand doesnt matter to me, and also, ive heard from numerous people that the quad cores arent really worth it right now, they are good for business type stuff, but not good for gaming, and the dual cores are all around better

If you are spending $4k then you may also want to consider a better case, on newegg im sure there is plenty better for $180.

In fact you can get a cheaper Lian-Li for $199.99 (full-tower) and a midtower for $79.99...

Is there anything specific that you ant in a case?

And WOW dual 8800's :blink: That thing is gonna pwn, that is if they even fit in the case...

Edited by Andrewr05

yeah, the case doesnt really matter to me, i just dont wanna drop 300 on a case that would work just as well as a 200 dollar case, but im going to go see my local custom computer maker and see what they think about what case, i dont wanna go with liquid cooling cauz it just seems too much of a hassle for me

May i recomend holding off on the second 8800gtx for a while. 1 of those cards will munch any game around so there isn't really a need for a second one, you could always stick in another when the prices fall or you find a game that actaully pushes the single card.

Btw have you thought of a screen yet? you'll need something nice to go with all the sweet stuff under the hood.

Hey you can't go wrong with 4 instances of folding.

That's true, but if you're doing it strictly to enhance your folding army, I still think it's more cost-effective to just build multiple barebones single-core systems.

He posted this in the Windows Gaming section and he wants dual 8800gtx's....I think...wait for it....he wants....just a bit longer...a gaming machine :P

Heh, I think you're right. :)

Don't get me wrong, there are some people (though they are VERY few) that might actually get a benefit out of quad-core. However, most people are just getting excited about quad-core because they think it's "the next big thing" when in reality, they don't even use the second core they have now.

Overall, I'll just say this: If you're spending $4000 on this because you already bought a Corvette and a big SUV, and you've already got the biggest plasma TV they make, then great. Get 2 8800GTX's and a quad-core while you're at it. The neighbors will be very impressed. But if you're building this to get the most out of your games without necessarily breaking the bank, I'd suggest getting rid of the second GTX. I guarantee you that if you buy one and give it an honest shot, you'll see absolutely no need for a second. It will simplify your configuration drastically, as well as save you money and reduce your power needs.

I heard This is a better motherboard for Overclocking a C2D.

or this one .

Someone correct me if Im wrong.

Also, what about the heatsink? And cooling system. Whatever case you buy, you need to make sure it has alot of Fan slots and that you fill them all. Such high components throw off alot of heat and need to be cooled properly. As for the heatsink. These are some good choices.

XP-120

XP-90

Scythe Ninja 1000

TT Big typhoon

Zalman 9700

Artic silver 5 and probably a delta fan. (Or a TORNADO!! MUAHAHAH)

IMO, for the harddrives get 2 250 GB ones and raid 0 (Or three for RAID 5)Them. That way you can use whatever money you save to buy an extra as backup.

Just an IMO. I mean 4 Grand and no RAID? Common...

For the RAM you won't need 4 GB.

Probably 2 GB's of low latency PC DDR2 667.. Also OCZ or Mushkin, just a guess.

You could also save some money on that power supply. Theres No way you going to use that much wattage.

My reccomendations.

OCZ Gamestream 600 Watt

Fortron 700 Watt

OCZ Gamestream 700 Watt

SilverStone SST-ST75ZF 750 Watt

Corsair HX620W 620 Watt

Hiper 580 Watt

But theres still alot of choices so don't be afraid to ask about something you see.

Let me just put it on the table. Spending 4 grand on a computer so that you can game, is simply rediculious...I mean, it's already been said that you don't need the second 8800GTX, and you probably won't use even 2 cores of the quad core, and you probably won't use 4 gigs of RAM. Let me just say, this computer will get all the chicks in your pants...............

That was kinda mean, what I meant to say is that you can get a gaming machine that is really good for under 2k.