Hdtv For Monitor (hdtv Ready?)

Hi, i was thinking of buying an HDTV in the near future (after christmas money comes in ;P ). anyway, i was looking for TVs that seemed most appropriate, and seems 1080p is what i definately want if i ever plan on hooking it up to the computer, or even just keeping it for a while because thats the direction technology is going. so i found this one on newegg..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16889234001

that i'm quite fond of. The only thing that troubles me is the fact that it is "HDTV ready". Not sure what that means, other things say they have an HDTV tuner inside. If anyone can tell me exactly what HDTV ready means and if this monitor would do well as a computer monitor i'd appreciate it. I dont have any experiance using TVs as a computer monitor... only made-for-computer monitors... (although the reviews for this montior seem rather stellar).

Thanks in advance.

Definitely looks nice, I also have a Westinghouse HDTV and it is not defective / any problems. It has perfect quality, really nice. I suggest getting this (even though I'd never order a TV to be shipped like that)

That tv has had some pretty good reviews, I'm sure you'll love it!

HD-ready means that the tv does not have a built in HD Tuner. Which means that if you want to get an HDTV signal (as in HD ABC, NBC, CBS, etc...) then you will need to either A. buy an external HD tuner and an antenna for over the air HD broadcasts or, B. Subscribe to an HD cable or satelite source such as Comcast or Cox.

That is the only difference between HD ready and an HDTV. It's got all the same inputs, all the same features, there's just no over the air HD tuner built in. They run about $100-200. But if you're using the TV just for the computer it will work great, as it has HDMI and DVI ports.

Edited by andrusk

to go a step further that monitor doesn't have any kind of tv tuner. it's really a computer monitor with some extra inputs. calling it a tv is a bit of a stretch. I've been looking into getting this monitor myself, it seems to have a decent picture, but you should know that if you ever want to watch tv (High Def or Standard Def) you'll need to hook your cable or satellite box up to the monitor though composite or component inputs.

to go a step further that monitor doesn't have any kind of tv tuner. it's really a computer monitor with some extra inputs. calling it a tv is a bit of a stretch. I've been looking into getting this monitor myself, it seems to have a decent picture, but you should know that if you ever want to watch tv (High Def or Standard Def) you'll need to hook your cable or satellite box up to the monitor though composite or component inputs.

I see. I definitely plan on using it for TV primarily and hooking it up to my computer on occasion. What sort of outputs would i be looking for? I thought HDMI was all i needed...

Would you maybe suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824112174 ?

Edited by DrAwesomePhD

Well, if you are going to use it as a TV, will you be using a cable box or sat box? If so, it having or not having a TV tuner doesn't mean anything.

And, if you are going to use it primarily for a computer monitor, I suggest getting a 30" Dell.

I would just like to note that it is nearly impossible to tell the difference in quality between 720p and 1080p on a 37" monitor. You'll really begin to tell the difference at around 50".

If you're going to use it as a computer monitor, think about if you're ever going to game on absurd resolutions.

Exactly, an HD ready monitor can contain a regular SD tuner, but by definition, it can't be an HDTV unless it has an HD tuner built in. It just happens that this one has no tuner at all, while some do in fact, have an SD tuner, and just no HD tuner.

I would just like to note that it is nearly impossible to tell the difference in quality between 720p and 1080p on a 37" monitor. You'll really begin to tell the difference at around 50".

If you're going to use it as a computer monitor, think about if you're ever going to game on absurd resolutions.

Ummm...Don't knock it 'till ya try it.

And it all matters on how far you view it from. Size literally has no presidence, it's all distance.

I see. I definitely plan on using it for TV primarily and hooking it up to my computer on occasion. What sort of outputs would i be looking for? I thought HDMI was all i needed...

Would you maybe suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16824112174 ?

This WILL work as a TV, and a very nice one at that. The reason, I guess, is some people call it a monitor and not tv is because you need to have a satellite or cable subscriber to watch TV on it......

I would make sure that the monitor is HDCP (digital content protection) certified (not just 'ready') before making a purschace... if you want to see much in HD, espically things like HDDVD and BluRay, in the future, you better make sure that you have HDCP...