Socket 775 Oc Competition Thread

OEM=BR, first revision. I traded in my AR and RMA'D it for free. But lo and behold, it didn't fix it. Then they come out with these new revisions... so there went my free trade in :(

I vote tweak. Just don't dump more than 1.45v into your CPU and you'll be fine :) Just make sure it doesn't go above 70C.

Aren't the T versions the OEM?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! What temps did you get with the stock cooler?

I am thinking of the Tuniq, or a Zalman CPNS 7500.

In that post I really meant the Zalman 9700. Is the tuniq Tower a better cooler than the Zalman?

Do you seriously advise bumping the HT voltage to max and the vcore to 1.4 right out of the box?

I think the A,B,and T series evga 680i boards had different stuff in the packaging. Like, the AR series came with a ludicrous number of cables, and manuals, and stuff. The T series only comes with a couple of cables, and the manual is on the cd--no hardcopy. The B series, I thought, was a non-US release, but I could be wrong(my wife says I often am!). But the A1 board is very fast. Don't get me wrong, my AR was fast, but not like this. The A1 also resolved the PS2 port issue, seems to have less voltage droop, eradicated the cold boot issues(although they were rare with the newer bios) and just seems solid as can be. I haven't felt this good about overclocking since I got my DFI expert oh so long ago!

By the way, that memory that is running at just over 1000 is some fairly inexpensive Corsair TwinX 6400. I'm only running 1.925V and it is stable at 1008 5-5-5-18. My harddrive sustained read speeds with the new board went from 48MB/s to about 61. That is on the same drive, same clock speed, same OS--just replaced the board.

I wanna tell ya, evga has won my loyalty with the service they provided in this swap out, and the quality of the product they put out.

I think the A,B,and T series evga 680i boards had different stuff in the packaging. Like, the AR series came with a ludicrous number of cables, and manuals, and stuff. The T series only comes with a couple of cables, and the manual is on the cd--no hardcopy. The B series, I thought, was a non-US release, but I could be wrong(my wife says I often am!). But the A1 board is very fast. Don't get me wrong, my AR was fast, but not like this. The A1 also resolved the PS2 port issue, seems to have less voltage droop, eradicated the cold boot issues(although they were rare with the newer bios) and just seems solid as can be. I haven't felt this good about overclocking since I got my DFI expert oh so long ago!

By the way, that memory that is running at just over 1000 is some fairly inexpensive Corsair TwinX 6400. I'm only running 1.925V and it is stable at 1008 5-5-5-18. My harddrive sustained read speeds with the new board went from 48MB/s to about 61. That is on the same drive, same clock speed, same OS--just replaced the board.

I wanna tell ya, evga has won my loyalty with the service they provided in this swap out, and the quality of the product they put out.

Can you give more detailed info on settings and voltages that you are using? I could use some help getting started.

In that post I really meant the Zalman 9700. Is the tuniq Tower a better cooler than the Zalman?

Do you seriously advise bumping the HT voltage to max and the vcore to 1.4 right out of the box?

The Tuniq Tower will walk all over the CNPS9700! It's simply the best air cooler out there right now!

The Tuniq Tower will walk all over the CNPS9700! It's simply the best air cooler out there right now!

Thanks for the info!

I have a question about my RAM. I have G.Skill model # F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ. I can't find any info about it's ability to overclock, except in German (hint hint to King). Can anyone give me advice on what settings to use in order to make sure that RAM is not a limitation?

First off you can set the board's fsb/mem ratio to unlinked mode and go from there, however you may very well find that sone ratiso jsut dont work worth a dang, even so the freedom to keep ram @ a low speed while you toy with the CPU (and of course the other way around) is priceless. Other than that you can loosen timmings to 5-5-5-18 and see how high the ram makes it, If its the same I have...and i think mine's NQ (5-5-5-15 default)...then 950mhz @ 2.1v was my mostly stable result on the P5B-E. I havent tried pushing it with the up to 2.5v i can give it now :) so it may have much more heardroom, and may even be able to do CAS 4 in the 800mhz range. I might play with it a little later to see if i can give you a better idea of what works well for it.

Oh and as for the eVGA T1 vs A1:

T1: 2x SATA cables, 1 SATA power adapter, Rounded IDE cable, Rounded floppy cable, Chipset fan, Driver/Manual CD and quickstart guide were in the box

A1: has 6x SATA, 3 SATA power adapters, Rounded IDE cable, Rounded floppy cable, 4port USB bracket, COM port bracket, firewire port bracket, Chipset fan, Driver/Manual CD, RAID floppy, Manual and quickstart guide

I dont think i left anything out...

Either way im personally starting to love this board more and more, and thankfully the urge to set fire to ASUS headquaters is starting to go away after all the P5B-E problems, though I'm still not even remotely attached to that board...