Socket 775 Oc Competition Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am finally back online and have my new system assembled. I still need a cooling solution - I am using the stock intel cooler right now - and I don't dare overclock at all on the stock cooler.

Does anyone know how well the G.Skill RAM is overclocking right now?

Also, I am going to need some help figuring out the BIOS on this 680i! This is a whole new world for me!

I OCed mine to 3.2 with the stock cooler.... anyways, the Tuniq Tower would be good.

Wow! What temps did you get with the stock cooler?

I am thinking of the Tuniq, or a Zalman CPNS 7500.

Also, I am going to need some help figuring out the BIOS on this 680i! This is a whole new world for me!

HT Link voltage is your friend here. Max that out and watch the OCs fly

Turn off speed step, spread spectrums, FSB @ 1.4v. SPP @ 1.5v (Assuming you install the chipset fan)

Edited by The Unforgivin

HT Link voltage is your friend here. Max that out and watch the OCs fly

Turn off speed step, spread spectrums, FSB @ 1.4v. SPP @ 1.5v (Assuming you install the chipset fan)

I do have the chipset fan installed. I just don't really think that I am ready to mess with anything until I get a better cooler.

NO single voltage will help you OC more on a 680i board than the HT link voltage, other than that it's a divider game with the ram/CPU, and what's unstable today might be a gold setting tomorrow, it seems to be 100% hit or miss.

Anyway, I've got a little addition @ 3.5 to add, not max that's for sure, but I did run 2x32M to test a CPU speed that was 100% useless less than 3 days ago, and yet all i had to do was drop teh voltage down some (still need to go a bit lower) and set the ram speed higher for a different divider.

I would be concerned about my semi-crappy ram, but replacement sticks are on the way :)

I've got to get to REAL OCing for this thing, but the folding points make it hard to make myself go test :lol:

Okay, I got my new rev.A1 board last week from evga and have found it to be WAY more oc friendly than my original 680i. Before I could get to 3.2 pretty easily but couldn't for the life of me get much further, no matter what timings, voltages, or voodoo, I tried. This new board, cross-shipped to me on evga's dime, is AWESOME! I'll keep going, and get some more stability benches but here's super-pi at 3.4.

Okay, I got my new rev.A1 board last week from evga and have found it to be WAY more oc friendly than my original 680i. Before I could get to 3.2 pretty easily but couldn't for the life of me get much further, no matter what timings, voltages, or voodoo, I tried. This new board, cross-shipped to me on evga's dime, is AWESOME! I'll keep going, and get some more stability benches but here's super-pi at 3.4.

I envy you... argh, stupid me already RMA'd my BR :(

I am using the T1 versionof the 680i. I know one of the product managers with eVGA who informed me that the only difference between the AR/A1 nad the TR/T1 is that one is retail and the other isn't. He never mentioned anything about a BR version, in fact, I have never heard of it. I looked at the eVGA website and it doesn't list a BR version. Where did you see that model number, and what is the difference?

Do you guys think it would be ok to tweak this system a little bit with stock cooling, or should I wait?

I am using the T1 versionof the 680i. I know one of the product managers with eVGA who informed me that the only difference between the AR/A1 nad the TR/T1 is that one is retail and the other isn't. He never mentioned anything about a BR version, in fact, I have never heard of it.

Do you guys think it would be ok to tweak this system a little bit with stock cooling, or should I wait?

OEM=BR, first revision. I traded in my AR and RMA'D it for free. But lo and behold, it didn't fix it. Then they come out with these new revisions... so there went my free trade in :(

I vote tweak. Just don't dump more than 1.45v into your CPU and you'll be fine :) Just make sure it doesn't go above 70C.