Hookahs

Vasto

i used to have a small 2 man hookah that no one really ever knew i had. i sold it because i feared my parents would find it. mine didnt get used for tobacco though :ph34r:

see thats the first thign i thought when i read hookahs.... :lol:

iv still never heard of this concept before sence everybody i knows uses hookahs for "trees"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some parents mind others don't. I don't know if you parents smoke them selfs, but parents who do tend to be more permissive.

Nope, my parents don't smoke, and I have only seen them buzzed (alcohol) a few times--can count them on one hand.

I think they figure that there is so many worse things that I could be doing. At least after you smoke a hookah, you can still drive--can't say the same with alcohol. I could be smoking cigs and get addicted. As far as hookahs go, my parents think that they are relatively harmless.

See my parents are very closed minded with anything to do with smoking. They know I have off and on for a few years, but we just avoid talking about it. Same with drinking its the known unknown. But it would be nice if I could be open about it, and some of my friends parents are like yours they don't give a hoot. (Very nice for fri/sat parties)

Just got back from a Hookah bar in the city. VERY good hookah. I had Cherry-Coconut while my "less experienced" friends had the relatively harmless double apple. Oh, and Vasto, the hummus and pita bread were really good :P

See my parents are very closed minded with anything to do with smoking. They know I have off and on for a few years, but we just avoid talking about it. Same with drinking its the known unknown. But it would be nice if I could be open about it, and some of my friends parents are like yours they don't give a hoot. (Very nice for fri/sat parties)

My parents don't care if I drink as long as I don't drive. They do care if I get drunk though--still a relatively thin line between drinking and drunk for me. They would probably kick me out of the house if they found me smoking cigs and I don't know what they would do if I ever smoked weed.

EDIT: I wonder if the hookah bar I goto would mix flavors. I think they serve Melon, Double Apple, Grape, Mango, Coffee, Bananna, and another flavor. Which of those are the best combinations?

Edited by Vasto

EDIT: I wonder if the hookah bar I goto would mix flavors. I think they serve Melon, Double Apple, Grape, Mango, Coffee, Bananna, and another flavor. Which of those are the best combinations?

Definitely give Mango-Melon a try.

A lot of people have stated that they don't like hookah, either because the taste was bad or that it hurt their throat. The problem is that either they go to a hookah bar that uses poor quality tobacco or their friend sets up the hookah, but doesn't know what they're doing. I've seen many people setup hookah wrong or very poorly, and the results are obvious. It's always interesting to watch them surprised as they see me do my work.

I personally only use high quality stuff. At any given time, I'll have around $150 worth of hookah supplies ready to go (tobacco, coals, tips, etc). I resupply probably once every month or so, more frequently in the summer when I can set it up out back or at the beach.

Definitely give Mango-Melon a try.

A lot of people have stated that they don't like hookah, either because the taste was bad or that it hurt their throat. The problem is that either they go to a hookah bar that uses poor quality tobacco or their friend sets up the hookah, but doesn't know what they're doing. I've seen many people setup hookah wrong or very poorly, and the results are obvious. It's always interesting to watch them surprised as they see me do my work.

I personally only use high quality stuff. At any given time, I'll have around $150 worth of hookah supplies ready to go (tobacco, coals, tips, etc). I resupply probably once every month or so, more frequently in the summer when I can set it up out back or at the beach.

Alright, I think I am going this Friday, I'll give it a shot. And just out of curiousity, how do youset yours up? Is there a technique to the placement of the tobacco inside the bowl? I know that your supposed use a pin to poke the tin foil holes, and someone told me that putting the coals closer to the outside was better than putting them in the center.

Do you use the quick lighting coals, if not then how do you warm yours up quickly? Also, how long does it take before the tobacco tastes old--if it does.

Alright, I think I am going this Friday, I'll give it a shot. And just out of curiousity, how do youset yours up? Is there a technique to the placement of the tobacco inside the bowl? I know that your supposed use a pin to poke the tin foil holes, and someone told me that putting the coals closer to the outside was better than putting them in the center.

Do you use the quick lighting coals, if not then how do you warm yours up quickly? Also, how long does it take before the tobacco tastes old--if it does.

A common mistake many people make when packing the bowl is that they do it too tightly. This results in only the top layer burning while the rest sits there unused, which means your experience is often cut short and with a rather harsh ending. Try separating the bits of tobacco in the bowl, even to the point where you use your hands to tear it apart. Sprinkle it into the bowl. Once you cover it with aluminum foil, shake the bowl a bit to mix it up, especially if you have more than a single flavor inside. Be sure to flip it over and blow from the bottom to unclog the holes.

As for punching holes into the aluminum foil. I have a poker that comes with my tongs. Makes a pretty decent sized hole, but not too large. I personally believe using a pin is a bad idea as the resulting holes are far too small, and you would have to make quite a number of them in order for the coals to be useful, but then you run the risk of too much surface area being compromised. If you have a toothpick, try that, though it would be best if you got yourself something like this that comes with a metal poker at the end.

For the coals. The best would obviously be the non-self lighting ones as they don't leave any residual charcoal taste and provide for a clean burn. However, these are also the hardest to light as they require putting them on a constant heat source for an extended period of time. Hence, the self-lighting coals were created. There are a few brands out there, but after trying a bunch, I have found Golden Charcoals to be the best (Three Kings is a distant second). Though I was browsing around and found a higher quality brand soon to be released by the makers of Golden Charcoal, called Pharaoh Charcoal. I'll give those a try once they're released later in November.

Finally, as far as coal placement. I personally throw it in the middle and then move it around as the tobacco starts to have a harsh taste. Though recently I tried something new. I broke one of the self-lighting coals up into four pieces and placing the pieces on top to cover as much surface area as possible. I found that this provided for a very nice, even burn and it never got harsh as no single area would completely dry out. The only problem with this is that breaking apart one of those coals is a total pain in the arse.

The single best way to have some great hookah is to buy really good brands. I just recently splurged on Bahraini Apple. Cost me 16 bucks for 250g, which seems to be exorbitant when compared to a brand such as Al-Waha or Al-Nakhla, which cost between 6 and 8 bucks a pop for 250g. However, the investment is WELL worth it after you experience the rich smoke and flavor. At the very least, stick to companies such as Al-Fakher and Al-Amir. If you want to be really adventurous, I would suggest you take a look at Fumari blends. They're really strong, but probably some of the most amazing hookah you have ever had.

I never heard of the shaking the tobacco up, I'll have to do that next time I set mine up.

I also have a tong poker, but this arabian kid at school told me that thumbtacks provide better holes, you just need to make a lot more.

I'll have to look up what brand of quick-light coals and tobacco I bought. I bought it from an arabian import house.

I never heard of the shaking the tobacco up, I'll have to do that next time I set mine up.

I also have a tong poker, but this arabian kid at school told me that thumbtacks provide better holes, you just need to make a lot more.

I'll have to look up what brand of quick-light coals and tobacco I bought. I bought it from an arabian import house.

Don't listen to the kid just because he's an Arab. I remember one day this Arab kid who was hanging out at my friend's apartment was boasting about how good his hookah was because he owned a shop that sold it (mind you, it wasn't a tobacco shop by any means). So I challenged him, in front of all of his friends, as to who could set up the better hookah. A half hour later, this kid and all his buddies are absolutely stunned at the best hookah they have ever had in their life :P

kash, you should do a pictorial how-to of how you set up the "best hookah ever" lol... i'm intrigued to say the least... i've had hookah before years ago when a friend had all the gear... he had the slow burning coals which we had to start up over a gas stove or with a mini blowtorch :lol:

anyway, i smoke rolling tobacco, because it's a lot smoother than cigarettes, and it doesn't have any chemical additives, and the paper is a lot thinner and doesn't have salt-peter (same stuff on firework wick-fuses!) on it either...

so i'm thinking i might get one possibly... i have a pretty good idea on how to set one up right from your hints and suggestions, but a few pics might help me feel more confident about setting one up myself to get a decent smoke out of it :)