Begining To Oc

gotdamojo06

I have started to overclock but...

Only upping the bus speed mhz to 244 with the ht at x4 gave me an oc from 2210mhz to 2684mhz along with the volts to the cpu at 1.70v. If I try to go to 245, it will begin to load windows, but just sit there forever...also

it is very unstable, windows will just freeze randomly and i will have to restart. Could someone give me a few pointers on how to keep this from happening.

I have heard of a trick...

TIP: In the bios press and hold Shift+F2 and then press ALT+F3 to unlock "hidden" features within the BIOS

which was originally posted at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43033

but when I try this, it does not work, anyone know why?

Also how do i find which version of the bios i am running?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i hae a tip for you.... your computer keeps crashing because its TOO HOT. You can not expect a stable overclock with stock cooling. Go out and buy a thermalright ULTRA-120 and then you can start to do large OC's with a stable computer.

some more information would be nice, and i hope to god that you are not putting 1.7 volts through that CPU with stock cooling.

Please list off your temperatures, also what divider is your memory on?

:withstupid: We need more info here. MUCH MORE. Please don't interpret this as being anything other than getting info from you. So here's some questions;

What Mobo?

How much do you know about Overclocking?

How well do you know your own computer?

And...as everybody is asking COOLING. How do you have your cooling configuration setup as?

Sounds funny but, How well do you know your math?

As Uber asked, What do you have your memory divider set at?

That should give you a head start, IMO you need to start over with your OC after all of these questions are answered.

Wow, you are putting way too much voltage into that chip. Like others have said, it's almost assuredly temperature problems. You need to monitor your temps, because they are probably WAY too high.

If you leave your voltage at 1.7 (even with really good air), you're probably going to cook your chip.

MSI K8N NEO2

I know my computer good

I am running stock cooling on the cpu, sucking air off the heatsink, with a duct taking it out the back of the case with a fan adding more suction

Im pretty good at math

Dont know where to set the memory divider

CPU Temp was around 42 C at durring load when it kept freezing

So dont go up to 1.7v?

So dont go up to 1.7v?

On air? I wouldn't.

I mean if your temps are fine then it's up to you, but personally I wouldn't put voltage that high on air regardless of temps. Do you actually need that much voltage to get your current OC, or did you just kinda set it there? I can't imagine that much voltage is really necessary.

You might want to check into your temps more though. 1.7v on stock air with low 40s load temps seems too good to be true to me.

The memory divider on the neo is under DRAM Configuration. It should be the first option on the top, if I remember right. The default setting is 200, which is 1:1 ratio. 166 is 5:6. 133 is 2:3. etc...

Generally, the venice chips didn't need a memory divider like the winchesters did, but it would really depend on how good your ram is. Try setting the divider very low, like 133 or 100, and retesting. If you do better, then your ram probably isn't holding up at the higher HTT settings.

ok, ill have to try to set the memory divider at 133, after i set the voltage down to 1.6, and see how that does.

has anyone else heard anything about the "hidden" settings with my bios (shitf+f2 and alt+f3)?

:withstupid:

1.7 and IMO 1.6 is still high for air cooling....i personally wouldn't do it. but if you're brave enough then more power to ya.

and your sig is still to big

28kb is the max

and 34kb>28kb

but i shrunk it down for ya...

post-8548-1161196651.jpg

On air? I wouldn't.

I mean if your temps are fine then it's up to you, but personally I wouldn't put voltage that high on air regardless of temps. Do you actually need that much voltage to get your current OC, or did you just kinda set it there? I can't imagine that much voltage is really necessary.

You might want to check into your temps more though. 1.7v on stock air with low 40s load temps seems too good to be true to me.

Not saying that you are wrong Verran but when I had my A64 3000+ (Newcastle) that thing LOVED volts. I had that thing pumping out 1.75 with an OC of 2680mhz :O ON AIR