Manditory Stability Control In The Us?

sdy284

My grandmas bmw has that and and i dont see what use its going to be if you roll going 80+ mph or go off the road... I mean what use is controlling were your going, ect. when your front tires are air born.

The whole point of stability control is to keep your tires on the ground in the first place.

saying that the cars dont need to change because its the peoples fault is a stupid point, its obvious that the people arent changing their driving style. so the only other variable has to; the cars have to be suited to compensate for the lack of intelligence/ caution that the driver use.

Or the drivers that lack intelligence / caution should just learn from their own mistakes....I've seen gymnasts do double backflips off buildings, does that mean that I should? No. Is it going to be my fault when I die from not being intelligent / cautious? Yes. The same thing goes for driving. So basically you think everyone who wants to do a backflip off a building should have to wear some kind of restraint, even the ones who have been doing it for years and know exactly what they are doing?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandmas bmw has that and and i dont see what use its going to be if you roll going 80+ mph or go off the road... I mean what use is controlling were your going, ect. when your front tires are air born.

We're talking about stability control, not moron control :withstupid:

I didnt know there was still drivers ed in high schools anymore. :blink:

My drivers ed was through a private company, we were taught paralell parking and the dangers of trains...this was in a town with the nearest train 100 miles away, the nearest uncontrolled train intersection about 200 miles away. They taught us about cruise control, airbags, and ABS...how many new drivers can afford cars with these features? The class cost over $300 and provided maybe 5 hours of behind the wheel training....

"this is what ABS feels like when you slam them on at 20mph"

"Try this cruise control"

and

"Check your blind spot!"

Nothing on gravel or wetness. Just videos talking about it. $300 should get some behind the wheel training at some closed course with more challenging conditions.

3 years later, I took my drivers liscense test in California (this $300 driving school wouldnt send the paperwork needed to transfer the training to CA)

The driving test consisted of driving close to a curb, going through a roundabout, and parking in an extra wide perpendicular space without speeding or crashing.

Indeed driving certs in this country ARE too easy. Mandatory stability control will not replace proper vehicle control.

Also, the article is unclear, is this just for pickups and SUVs or will this include sedans, wagons, and other real cars? If the latter is the case, I'm completely against this.

My drivers ed course taught all sorts of different situations, but the problem is that taking such a course isn't REQUIRED to get your license.

As for me, I've never been in even a minor accident in my 9 years of driving, though I did skid into a few curbs on hills during a blizzard up at Cornell (but as I was going 1mph literally, I can't really blame myself...except for maybe being out in that weather :lol:). My car now (and for the past 5 years) doesn't even have ABS brakes, but that hasn't affected my driving record/ability at all.

As for stability control...I think instead of making mandatory stability control in SUVs, they do a mandatory discontinuation of all SUV sales. Take them off the road completely...they cause more problems than good.

As for stability control...I think instead of making mandatory stability control in SUVs, they do a mandatory discontinuation of all SUV sales. Take them off the road completely...they cause more problems than good.

:bah:

the idiots that drive them are the problem...not the SUV's themselves

do 50mph & jerk the wheel around, bad crap is bound to happen.

Get better driver training & accidents behind the wheel of ANY & ALL vehicles will go down

i guaran-dang-tee ya

Edited by sdy284

:bah:

the idiots that drive them are the problem...not the SUV's themselves

do 50mph & jerk the wheel around, bad crap is bound to happen.

Get better driver training & accidents behind the wheel of ANY & ALL vehicles will go down

i guaran-dang-tee ya

I don't like them on the road period, whether the drivers are "good" or not. I like to be able to see all around me and not get my vision blocked by one of those useless gas guzzlers.

I don't like them on the road period, whether the drivers are "good" or not. I like to be able to see all around me and not get my vision blocked by one of those useless gas guzzlers.

:lol: thats prolly the worse reason to get rid of SUV's i've heard yet...

what about school busses? Semi's? Delivery Trucks? Cement Trucks? Pickup trucks? Mini-Vans? Regular Vans? Any American sedan from the 80's? Muscle Cars? Non-muscle cars with V8's?

You're never going to get rid of any of the above vehicles that are large and/or guzzle gas.

And what about hills? bushes/trees next to the road? The A/B/C Pilliars? Or anything else that blocks your vision and/or causes blind spots?

Not going to get rid of any of those either

saying that the cars dont need to change because its the peoples fault is a stupid point, its obvious that the people arent changing their driving style. so the only other variable has to; the cars have to be suited to compensate for the lack of intelligence/ caution that the driver use.

Nicely Put.

I took a drivers ed course at my school (private school) and the guy that did it works for Septa (public transportation company philly) and he teaches those idiots to drive the buses and trains. He actually gave us practical advice and we had to have so many classroom hours to meet the standards, but almost everything was done in the car. Three of us would show up every saterday and we would each take a turn driving (for about an hour). He would just talk to us about stuff when we were driving and give us tips and advice, but would otherwise let us go wherever we wanted to.

I actually learned alot from it and thought it was very useful.

it's a catch 22 in my eyes.

yes it will lessen the odds of them rolling a car over on the expressway and making ME wait till someone can clean up their carcass. it'll bring down MY insurance.

however natural selection doesn't need anymore holdups. it also will give that same air of invincibility / stupidty that leads to so many other messes on the road... cuz they all think they can drive like morons to a point where the system can't save them.

I'd much rather see limits on what vehicles can do, instead of pushing higher speeds, tighter turns and what not. UNLESS the drive can prove the ability to drive in that manner in the first place. sure I drive hard and fast, but keep it within safe limits to what I can do and what I see other drivers handling around me.