Manditory Stability Control In The Us?

sdy284

no, you guys are missing this. clay should know cuz he's driven in snow. you might have missed this one becuase you've never witnessed it first hand.

4wd is always a joke to behold on snow and ice covered roads. it's just 4 wheels not getting any traction. but becuase the wolrd is full of morons, they think 4wd allows them to drive without worrying in the snow. stabilty control would just be one more thing for these same morons to view as an excuse to push it harder and drive even more wrecklessly.

My point exactly. And yes clay i have driven in a blizzard. I am originally from Ithaca.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4wd is always a joke to behold on snow and ice covered roads. it's just 4 wheels not getting any traction. but becuase the wolrd is full of morons, they think 4wd allows them to drive without worrying in the snow. stabilty control would just be one more thing for these same morons to view as an excuse to push it harder and drive even more wrecklessly.

AGREED :thumbs-up:

Ive been on the highway doing 45 in a blinding blizzard (in a 4wd vehicle) with virtually no visibility, and the people in the big(er) 4wd SUV's and truck's go like 60-80 and all you see is a big white blur and they practically plow snow in front of their vehicles and you think to yourself:

"WOW they better slow down, they're gonna get into an accident!!"

"Oh wait nevermind they have 4wd... They are INVINCIBLE"

Edited by Andrewr05

Personally, I can't stand traction control. I almost crashed my mom's Ford Five Hundred once becasue it. I feel the car doing weird things, and I try to compesate for it, so the TC over-compensated for me, etc. It was a bad combo. However, ABS, I do like.

I cannot drive with traction control. I really just hate it.

My point exactly. And yes clay i have driven in a blizzard. I am originally from Ithaca.

Oh cool, that's where I went to school (Cornell)...so you should know about all the hills around the campus there which in a blizzard causes real problems even at 1mph...and especially with the crap parking people do. Anyways, maybe I just misunderstood the point you were trying to make, but you were saying the stability control was just as bad as traction control, and I don't see that. I don't think traction control causes people to think they're invincible and can do 80mph in a blizzard, however it can help if you hit some black ice.

Personally, I can't stand traction control. I almost crashed my mom's Ford Five Hundred once becasue it. I feel the car doing weird things, and I try to compesate for it, so the TC over-compensated for me, etc. It was a bad combo. However, ABS, I do like.

I cannot drive with traction control. I really just hate it.

Well that's not an issue with traction control, but rather with you..no offense. But the same with ABS, you just have to be aware what the car you're driving has, so you know what to do in certain situations. Like I said, my car doesn't have ABS, so I know I have to pump the brakes, but if I drive my dad's, mom's or bro's car, I know they all have ABS, so I'd have to hold 'em down. Same thing goes with traction control...if a car has it, you have to know to let up, or of course you're going to have problems when you're fighting it.

I have to laugh at the UIE comment clay. it's true. I had all kinds of problems with computer controlled AWD at first... so used to either RWD or true manual 4x4... dumb computer kept trying to correct my mistakes on slick roads :) and what did I do? makes some more mistakes fighting it.

mr sinister, while I'm in favor of this being put on new cars (mainly cuz it'll drop my insurance which right now tops out over $22k per month), but I would also like to see it implemented with several other things. better drivers ed, stricter punishments for bad driving, MORE STEEL on cars (sorry but I'm living proof that a big vehicle can save your life), but also perhaps limitting performance vehicles in the hands of people who can't handle them... lets face it... when do we NEED to go 120mph? when do we NEED to go 0-60 in 4 seconds? when do we NEED a 1/4 time under 12 seconds?

Bigred makes some great points about speed controls and whatnot.

And I totally agree Clay, I know it's my fault I don't like T/C, but my intial reaction to a free reving engine and me not moving in a FWD car is to turn further in and mash the gas more to pull through the slide. T/C doesn't like it when you do that. :/

but also perhaps limitting performance vehicles in the hands of people who can't handle them... lets face it... when do we NEED to go 120mph? when do we NEED to go 0-60 in 4 seconds? when do we NEED a 1/4 time under 12 seconds?

When do we need quad-core opertons with 64GB of Ram? We don't (except in a few rare occassions), it's just nice to have.

I am all in favor of tougher driving classes. One of my friends got a flat tire, and so while he was looking for his cell phone to call AAA, my cousin (who is a girl--just proves to you that some girls aren't helpless) and I changed his tire. The moron actually sat in his car at one point while it was jacked up on the crappy jack that came with his car. It should be madatory to know how to change a tire, do oil changes, and other basic tasks. Also, they should make you pass a severe driving test. (have a semi-iced indoor road with fog machines going that oyu have to drive through--one for every 3 or more counties)

When do we NEED to make more than $80,000 a year?

When do we NEED to have more than one vehicle per driver in the family?

When do we NEED to have more than one TV in the house?

When do we NEED to own more than one business?

OK, Marx :lol:

That's the great thing about America. We can have whatever we want. :thumbs-up:

All cars contribute to the deaths of innocent people. Lawn mowers contribute to the death of millions of people. WoW destroys millions of social lives (in Asia the have the equivalent of AA meetings for WoW).

Just because I a car runs a 12 second mile, doesn't mean that it will be accelerating that fast most of the time. In fact, I would guess less than once a month.

But back on topic...I heard that the 7 series has some sort of stability control that pretty much makes it impossible to spin out. Fact or not-fact?