Manditory Stability Control In The Us?

sdy284

http://www.overclockersclub.com/?read=5830839

http://news.com.com/U.S.+wants+to+make+sta...ml?tag=nefd.top

I have an idea, how about actually teaching car control in drivers education? In my opinion, this countries drivers ed program is in serious dis-repair. Talk to any of our European members and you'll find that there is a much more involved process for getting your drivers license across the pond. I mean even basic things like parallel parking aren't tought any more! Seriously, all you have to do is drive a few hours with another adult when you have your permit, take a joke of a written test, then an even bigger joke of an actual driving test & poof! Here's your license. In my opinion, all driver's ed facilities should have access to a large parking lot with the ability to soak it down to simulate wet-road conditions. This would enable the instructors to teach the students what to do when conditions for driving are less than ideal. I personally think that better driver education is much more important than maditory stability control. Car's now-a-days are getting so advanced that the drivers are more of a passenger than a driver. People seem to think that stability control makes them invincible. Sure, stability control is great in certain situations, but you can't fool physics. Fly into a sharp curve to fast in the rain & you can kiss your stability controlled butt goodbye.

that's my feelings on the issue, what do you guys think?

Edited by sdy284

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where others are taught to drive, but at my school's Driver's Ed class (month long course in the summer), we did a huge load of driving in all kinds of situations. Everything from parallel parking to driving on gravel in the rain.

But yea... how long before people manage to screw this up?

Aaaaand, here's just an idea for those who are injured or killed in your average rollover... WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS YOU IDIOTS! Most accidents can be survived if you wear a proper three point harness. Ask EMTs, policemen, firefighters, anyone who deals with this stuff, and they'll tell you that those 2 1/2 seconds that it takes you to buckle your seatbelt in WILL save your life in a potentially fatal car accident.

While I do look forward to more safety features in cars, there's nothing to protect humans from themselves. Frankly, if someone thinks that their seatbelt won't save them or that it's not worth the time, they shouldn't be on the road.

/rant

Now where's the idiot who thinks that seatbelts cause more fatalities than they prevent?

Not sure where others are taught to drive, but at my school's Driver's Ed class (month long course in the summer), we did a crapload of driving in all kinds of situations. Everything from parallel parking to driving on gravel in the rain.

But yea... how long before people manage to screw this up?

Aaaaand, here's just an idea for those who are injured or killed in your average rollover... WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS YOU IDIOTS! Most accidents can be survived if you wear a proper three point harness. Ask EMTs, policemen, firefighters, anyone who deals with this stuff, and they'll tell you that those 2 1/2 seconds that it takes you to buckle your seatbelt in WILL save your life in a potentially fatal car accident.

While I do look forward to more safety features in cars, there's nothing to protect humans from themselves. Frankly, if someone thinks that their seatbelt won't save them or that it's not worth the time, they shouldn't be on the road.

/rant

Now where's the idiot who thinks that seatbelts cause more fatalities than they prevent?

the seatbelts is a valid point, however most rollovers could be avoided all together if proper vehicle control was taught.

its good to hear that your school had all that. But i'm sure thats one of the more rare institutions that does

its good to hear that your school had all that. But i'm sure thats one of the more rare institutions that does

I know that my school didn't teach us jack during Drivers Ed. We sat in a classroom bored out of our minds, listening to the teacher (i.e. football coach) prattle on about random stuff that had nothing to do with driving. Actual practice either in a simulator or in a car? Yea, ok..... <_<

It's no wonder so many people failed the written examination.

I know that my school didn't teach us jack during Drivers Ed. We sat in a classroom bored out of our minds, listening to the teacher (i.e. football coach) prattle on about random stuff that had nothing to do with driving. Actual practice either in a simulator or in a car? Yea, ok..... <_<

It's no wonder so many people failed the written examination.

I went to a private highschool, so we didn't have drivers ed so i had to take that at a private drivers ed school as well.

We had weekly driving sessions but they were pointless. It was basically making sure to do complete stops @ stop signs & how to use your turn signals :withstupid:

We never talked or learned about parallel parking, accident avoidance, what to do if you lose control of your car, etc etc

Dumb...the problem is in the drivers, not the cars....just because there are so many freaking dumb people in the US doesn't mean everyone's car needs to be changed. I think "mandatory stability control for morons" would be a better idea.

amen brotha!

saying that the cars dont need to change because its the peoples fault is a stupid point, its obvious that the people arent changing their driving style. so the only other variable has to; the cars have to be suited to compensate for the lack of intelligence/ caution that the driver use.

They could save money by updating their Drivers Ed programs for EVERYONE, which means if you've been driving for 45 years you should still be required to pass the drivers safety course to keep your license!

Now there is gonna be people that say "It takes away my freedom to force me to take a safety test" 'yadda yadda yadaa"

I know that there are people out there that have been driving for 10 years that have never been in an accident or even in a dangerous sittuation in a car, but when they do they are not going to have any clue whatsoever how to handle the car when its careening out of control...

IMHO when you renew your license you should have to take the drivers ed class again, but make the renewal every 4-6 years!

ATM I dont have my license, but I still drive, and it makes me wonder how much of a complete moron you have to be to fail a Drivers Education class in the United States, like you have said its pretty much just drive around and stop and go when you're supposed to...

So

Mandatory Stability Control: NO

Mandatory Safety Driving Test: YES

/rant yadda blah ok im done

Edited by bigred