Re-installing Windows Without Calling Bill

legit

Hey all,

So i once was told that you can reinstall windows without having to call microsoft simply by copying a file from the old install to the new install. can anyone tell me the file that you copy?

also i was told that it only works if no hardware has changed, is this changes from the last install or from the time between copying the file and reinstalling?

thanks

- legit

EDIT: yeah thats the link, but since the last install i've added a new hard drive and optical drive, does that count as hardware changes or no?

Edited by legit

Hey all,

So i once was told that you can reinstall windows without having to call microsoft simply by copying a file from the old install to the new install. can anyone tell me the file that you copy?

also i was told that it only works if no hardware has changed, is this changes from the last install or from the time between copying the file and reinstalling?

thanks

- legit

You can copy the file over from the old computer to the new one BUT if you have changed or upgraded four or more components out of a list of ten on your computer in a period of 120 days or less it will not work, you will just trigger the activation code. So that means if you're trying to re-install the same copy of Windows onto a different computer altogether it will sus out what you're up to and refuse to run! And it's changes from the original activation/last install. :unsure:

Edited by peter.ski

If this is the same machine (with only 2 minor things change like Optical drives ect..) then you can go ahead reformat and reinstall Windows.

Backup your wpa.dbl file before doing this located @:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\

On your freshly reinstall Windows, go ahead and see if you can activate over the web, this should go without a problem unless you reinstall over 8 times or something...

If it doesnt work over the web, restart in safe mode:

go to your C:\WINDOWS\SYstem32

Locate wpa.dbl, delete it and then copy your BACKUP COPY of ur old wpa.dbl.

Restart normally. Once you're logged on your desktop, run the activation and it should go :)

Edited by Silkster