Unexplainable Slow Startup

tharealmegaman

The other day, I started up my laptop and it loaded windows just as fast as it normally would, but it started to hang halfway through loading the startup programs. It eventually loads everything, but its taking maybe 5 minutes to get there. Before, it would go from off to totally started in under a minute, so you can understand how frustrating this is for me.

I have no clue why. Any ideas?

Is this the first and only time it has happened? Cause if it is then its not much to worry about. It happens to me like once Every 2 months or so. I can't explain it: Nothing other then that happens so I just leave it alone.

Its kinda like A random Blue screen, if it doesn't happen often then it probably nothing to worry about.

Just an IMO.

Unfortunatly, it wasn't a one time thing. It happens on every startup now. I even ran spyware and virus scans and nothing came up. I deleted any startup scripts I had and no-go.

Its frustratingly slow on startup. Sometimes I need it to start up right away and it won't. Not to mention its embarassing at a tech school. It runs just as fast as it always did after starting up, however.

Clean-up your registry. Defrag, maybe run a CHKDSK. Go look in your Admin. options>services too. Disable some unwanted and useless items in there also. A good guide that I have and will use is this ONE for that.

Question: What have you installed recently? Hardware, Software? If all fails I would then do what STE said. I mean it is recommended that you do a Clean install of the OS (of your choice) at the very least, once a year.

Ok, do this to nail the device or driver that's causing your slow boot: Start > Run > type: C:\boot.ini > OK

This will open your Boot.ini file in Notepad. Append the following switch: /Sos to the Windows XP line (following /fastdetect). Then File > Save and Exit Notepad. Re-boot. This will display the name of each driver as it loads and also give text descriptions of what's happening during start-up. Let me know what happens then.

I take it you are running XP?

Edited by peter.ski