Argh! Must.... Go.... Faster!

Tempesta

Tried playing around with my system to get a decent overclock and I can't seem to get very far. I was only able to get a 3.53 o/c that would even boot into Windows. My system is as follows -

P4 3.4GHz Northwood

Asus P4C800-Deluxe mobo (1.019 BIOS)

1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 2-3-2-6

1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 2-2-2-5

(I run all the RAM at 2-3-2-6 and the other doesn't seem to mind)

I tried loosening the timings to 2.5-3-2-6, 2.5-3-3-6, and 3-4-4-8. I can't get past 208/832 for a CPU clock of 3.53. I'm at 30C idle right now so no worries there but dang, I would think I could get this thing a little faster.

Is there a problem mixing the RAM and trying to o/c? Normal stuff like gaming doesn't give me any problems with the mixed latencies.

Tried playing around with my system to get a decent overclock and I can't seem to get very far.  I was only able to get a 3.53 o/c that would even boot into Windows.  My system is as follows -

P4 3.4GHz Northwood

Asus P4C800-Deluxe mobo (1.019 BIOS)

1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 2-3-2-6

1GB Corsair XMS PC3200 2-2-2-5

(I run all the RAM at 2-3-2-6 and the other doesn't seem to mind)

I tried loosening the timings to 2.5-3-2-6, 2.5-3-3-6, and 3-4-4-8.  I can't get past 208/832 for a CPU clock of 3.53.  I'm at 30C idle right now so no worries there but dang, I would think I could get this thing a little faster.

Is there a problem mixing the RAM and trying to o/c?  Normal stuff like gaming doesn't give me any problems with the mixed latencies.

614858[/snapback]

Hm, is that BH-5 and CH-5 you have there by chance (2-3-2-6 being the CH-5)? If so, timing's wont make much difference. You'll want to be increasing voltage....

Normal stuff like gaming doesn't give me any problems with the mixed latencies.

614858[/snapback]

I don't think that you would be running those w/ different latencies. The BIOS will set you timings on both sticks to the slowest one that is there.

Also, before upping voltages, post what you're at right now, along with what cooler you are using. What kind of load temps are you getting?

And realistically, you just could have hit the wall of the mixed RAM.

Given it *shouldn't* cause any problems, but it might. There are little eletrical differences most of us are far to stupid to comprehend, myself included. You just could be at that RAM combonations limit.

I don't think that you would be running those w/ different latencies. The BIOS will set you timings on both sticks to the slowest one that is there.

Also, before upping voltages, post what you're at right now, along with what cooler you are using. What kind of load temps are you getting?

Yeah, that's what I meant to say.... I know the RAM will step down the slowest in the system. We used to mix PC-100 and PC-133 at work all the time and never had problems.

The RAM voltage is 2.75v (manually set) and CPU voltage is 1.584v-1.600v. That's according to CPU-Z which shows it fluctuating. That's the default/auto voltage set in the BIOS.

I'm using the Zalman CNPS7000a-Cu cooler. My idle temps right now as I type this is 30C and my load temps under a full gaming load never exceed 46C so there is plenty of room to grow.

i havent increased my CPU voltage, its 1.584v so i can tell you that you havent increased it unless its 1.6. There was a chart on these forums about voltage increase. KB looked it up for me, maybe you can get him to do it for ya.

I have the same board the same 3.4C with the stock bios I think it was 1011 and OCZ PC4200 2.5-4-4-7 2 X 256mb I ran 2 Versions of folding for about a year @ 3.5 something then after a few blackouts, it got to were I had to lower and lower my O.C. until it barely would run on 200 without errors. I tried 1019 and no better I am using the beta bios 1021 my speed right now is 3450. 203 X 17 but I am using the stock HSF with the side cover off all this time and a small 110 fan blowing in there. I was at a point I could not go over 202 I changed a couple settings in the bios to infinite and 64u this is what seemed to help. I was able to go up to 203 without errors. I may try 204 X 17and see what happens. I have so many machines I havent had time to really mess with it much. My temps according to motherboard monitor and Asus are 48-49c but it runs 24/7 full load.