Chieftec Mesh Bigtower: Case Mod Project

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make sure you wear protective eyewear!! :ph34r:

615966[/snapback]

man i got protective glasses, protective goggles, and two types of half-face masks lol... there was a mirror in the area where i was working and it's got like a billion scratches on it from the flying shards of metal... so yeah i'm not going to forget to wear them either heh

is it really my duct? yeah, it's my duct... not an animal rofl...

mmmm..... resin *licks lips* :lol:

LOL!

hard - you're using the same fans as me, copycat! I'm gonna be doing the same thing however i'm not gonna do a direct duct, I'm gonna use LED fans just blowing under the rad (2 120's) and I'm gonna cut standard holes and use mesh for looks and dust filtering..

I found a shroud that will fit my needs..

are you gonna be converting those fans to 7V?? there's not that bad @12v but it voids the point of water-cooling almost to have it still spitting so many dB's at you. I had problems getting my 7v molex mod to work.. don't want to buy an adaptor. anybody know of a good way to adapt 2 fans to 7V that's easier than trying to re-wire a moelx that's been beat up by it's initial removal?

the point of water-cooling is lower temps first and foremost... at 12V they are audible definitely, but they're nothing like the H1A's... i'd never put a fixed limiter on them down to 7V... much more likely i'll get a fan controller...

or maybe i'll put fixed limiters on my 3500 rig and whip the vantec nexus outta there

copycat? pfffft, i saw your 80mm stock fans on your rad! :P

lol. got something for you once my rad gets back from dangerden (sprung a leak, i'm stock on air now) /cries a lil - thank god i pulled the plug as soon as i saw water splatter on the window...

all hardware survived, but i washed my board and vid card in the dishwasher to get all the water-wetter off which was oily and didn't dry properly.. works fine :)

Just a suggestion....When I did my sons PC I couldn't find the right size hole saw so I cut the holes for the fans square using a dremel. Turns out round holes block a lot of the air flow from the fans and a square hole actually works better.

See for yourself...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/Fue...PC_Top-View.jpg

Once the grills are in place it doesn't look too bad....

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/Fue...oy-Grills-1.jpg

Might save you some money on tools.....maybe B:)

i actually like how that looks alot.

nice clean rig man..

with 2 panaflo's that do 114 per fan, it would be hard to have bad airflow with a round cut tho.. besides, pulling from underneath rather than pushing up, the air will find a way to get up and thru without a problem

Might save you some money on tools.....maybe B:)

maybe... maybe not lol...

i opted for a drill stand (converts hand held drill to pillar drill) and a new holesaw... got caught out with needing some 6/6.3mm x 50mm bolts to clamp the stand onto my workbench... gonna pick some up tomorrow at lunch-break hopefully... or maybe we'll have some knocking around at work, who knows... hopefully i'll have the fan holes cut tomorrow at any rate...

kinda a pain waiting for stuff to be delivered then finding out i need something, then having to mess about to get that thing... wish i just had one awesome tools and hardware place within 2-3 miles... but meh, no such luck...

:O iumaestro, what are you doing to your rig?! lol... don't give it a drink dude... it's not thirsty :P

maybe... maybe not lol...

i opted for a drill stand (converts hand held drill to pillar drill) and a new holesaw... got caught out with needing some 6/6.3mm x 50mm bolts to clamp the stand onto my workbench... gonna pick some up tomorrow at lunch-break hopefully... or maybe we'll have some knocking around at work, who knows... hopefully i'll have the fan holes cut tomorrow at any rate...

How are you gonna fit your Pc under the drill stand? :unsure:

lol... the top panel is actually held on with screws to the main chassis, so it comes off easily... right side panel is normal so that's easy too...

i'll derivet the rear panel if need be...

it's got like a 200-250mm radius on the drill stand so i can get those side holes cut easily :D

lol... the top panel is actually held on with screws to the main chassis, so it comes off easily... right side panel is normal so that's easy too...

i'll derivet the rear panel if need be...

it's got like a 200-250mm radius on the drill stand so i can get those side holes cut easily :D

Sounds like you are good to go then :lol: Not sure what kind of hole saw you are going to use but I know that most use a drill bit that bores a small hole to keep the saw centered. Looking at the pics you posted (of the hole gone bad) that center bore hole is whacked way out of shape.....You can fix this by clamping a block of wood to the back of the panel before you try to redrill the fan hole. Actually it isn't a bad idea to use the wood on all the holes....it gives the centering drill a lot more material to bite into than a thin piece of metal and helps prevent the saw from walking all around on you.

This rig is really starting to take shape.....nice work hardnrg B:)