Chieftec Mesh Bigtower: Case Mod Project

* lego bows down before hardnrg *

This is shaping up nicely... Hope it all goes well (I've got to do some fiberglass repair on the car soon - dang ice)

and for the logo on the side you need to turn it into a vector drawing, then get a vynil cut for it... I think there's a place in wales that'll cut you one that big for about 10-15quid

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i've thought about the vector -> vinyl thing... would make it a LOT easier especially since it's 3-colours (white, yellow, red)... masking/stencilling would be really really hard and would mean i'd have to buy 3 more colours of paint so the vinyl option looks pretty good... the other option i've seen is some company called lazer-something-or-other does waterslide transfer paper that you can print out on inkjet printers... i have a top printer that prints out photo-processing quality prints so that's another option...

the other option altogether is to take a paint plan down to the local body shop and get a quote for the whole lot... inside and out with graphics, and opticals too... dunno tho... might be expensive, but on the other hand it might actually be less than the price of all the paint cans or at least less than a compressor and paint gun and all the other craziness...

That's great man, :blink: but really... fiberglass molding and resin in your kitchen lolll :lol::lol: i wouldn't want to eat a sandwich at your place, everything is going to taste like resin :lol:

That's great man, :blink:  but really... fiberglass molding and resin in your kitchen lolll :lol:  :lol: i wouldn't want to eat a sandwich at your place, everything is going to taste like resin :lol:

610504[/snapback]

mmmm..... resin *licks lips* :lol:

I was wondering if the fumes would be a bit much inside your house/apartment/condo. I'd be afraid of asphyxiation personally. But then again, I'd never attempt something like that because I lack the skill and patience. Oh well. :bah:

the cooker hood extractor fan is pretty industrial... together with the windows open it sort of stopped me from totally dying from the fumes lol... still smells today... one of my housemates came back from home today and says he can feel himself getting high in the kitchen and actually commented on the whole sandwich thing just like 2 minutes ago lol

really really REALLY wish i had a garage/workshop/shed...

Fibreglassing - Part 2

Nearly done with this fibreglassing stage... picked up another (larger) fibreglassing kit that has loads more material in it (like 4 times as much as the other one) and set to work on the bend section of the duct

Bend section - fully covered

22bendfgbottom2lg.th.jpg 23bendfgstart5wk.th.jpg 24bendfgside8rj.th.jpg

And after that had set hard enough, I trimmed both sections down around the areas where they meet and positioned the bend and intake ready to be bonded together. I used a holesaw in it's box with a bit of parcel tape on it to add some vertical pressure to the bend section

Complete duct - almost done

25ductfgside3ga.th.jpg 26ductfgperspective6ti.th.jpg 27ductfgbottom5lk.th.jpg

so as i said, pretty much done with the fibreglassing... just have to seal the "hole" part and some of the tight sections at the joint aswell.

Fibreglassing - Part 3

After removing the "base" for the inlet side of the duct, I soon discovered that the single layer of fibreglass wasn't looking as strong as I was aiming for... so i applied a 2nd layer, as well as sealing the joints on the inner part of the hole

2nd layer of fibreglass

28ductfg2side6xd.th.jpg 29ductfg2perspective6qo.th.jpg 30ductfg2end0tz.th.jpg 31ductfg2bottom9xp.th.jpg

also i thickened up the corners and all other areas that will have holes for the radiator bolts... if 2 layers still isn't strong enough, i may reinforce it with the aluminium mesh i have... i think it'll be alright tho... just got a very small area to finish which isn't really accessible with the molds in place. so tomorrow i'll remove the molds and complete the fibreglassing... probably have to wait a day or something for it to totally cure before moving onto the next stage of body fillers :)

nice hard - you are teh r0x0rZ.. are you working with the same rad i am?

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/Need_A_...ics-t62984.html

and why did you decide to go to water-cooling at the same time as me! lol. looking good.. makes you feel like you wasted alt of time lapping that thermalright doesn't it.. (cause i feel that way now)

i went for the swiftech (storm) kit because i wanted that block and pump anyway... so i have the mcr-220b (it's like navy blue unlike the pic)

header3gg.gif

not really a waste lapping the xp-120... it's being hand-me-downed to my 3500 venice / neo2 / xbl / neopower rig which has my sblive 5.1 plat in there so it's gonna be a dedicated audio production rig... should be fairly quiet with the xp-120 on there with a panaflo h1a on there tamed by a vantec nexus controller

it does mean that my slk-948u will be demoted to "back up components" along with the 92mm tornado...

my new rig will be blessed with a pcp&c 510 sli/express... i think the upgrade is warranted with an oc'd dual core and possible sli/cf in the near future... i already have it now... i'm just waiting for the case to be ready before i use the new psu and watercooling

i'm trying to stay away from using 80mm fans ever again... i got four 120's for the rad, two 120's for case exhaust, and four 92's as case intakes...