New Psu

Finally got a new PSU for my rig, it's an Enermax Liberty 500w, it's really quiet so far, can't even hear it.

I do have one question, though. Everytime I push the power button, it makes a loud pop, but it continues on and works okay. Should I worry about this or RMA it? I'm pretty sure there isn't any grounding since it stays on. Stability for now seems okay, it's been folding for over 30mins.

It's a bit like the grounding out noise, but it continues on. I'll go back and check over everything tomorrow.  :closedeyes:

598755[/snapback]

I would RMA it right away, Don't risk it..

:withstupid: PSU's are not supposed to pop. Even if it seems to go ahead and work ok I would not trust it. You don't want to risk it "popping" one of these days and taking your hardware with it. It would be best to just go ahead and rma it to be on the safe side.

:withstupid: PSU's are not supposed to pop. Even if it seems to go ahead and work ok I would not trust it. You don't want to risk it "popping" one of these days and taking your hardware with it. It would be best to just go ahead and rma it to be on the safe side.

598813[/snapback]

:withstupid: Last time my PSU "popped" I shortly after smelled smoke and lost my fan controller and the ps2 keyboard port on my mobo. Sooo lucky nothing else happened.

Is the popping definitely coming from the PSU? I've often heard popping thru speakers (due to electromagnetic interference) which is nothing to worry about. If it's the PSU, then yeah, RMA it. I'll be ordering that PSU shortly for the web server I'm building.

As I said earlier, I'll be going over the wiring to check for any problems. If it still makes the popping noise after that, it will be RMA'ed back to newegg. Whatever it's doing is enough to blow the battery in my fan controller cos it won't hold the memory.

As I said earlier, I'll be going over the wiring to check for any problems. If it still makes the popping noise after that, it will be RMA'ed back to newegg. Whatever it's doing is enough to blow the battery in my fan controller cos it won't hold the memory.

599044[/snapback]

Hyper: Power supplies should NOT do this, RMA it now before you wait to long and something more serious happens. A power supply is not something you want keep if its doing Unnatural things.

I found what is most likely the problem, it has to do with the "Eternity" cables where you have molex and SATA connectors on the same strand, the SATA connectors have a little bit of bare wire coming from the bottom, one of them is shoved up on top of the fan controller which has a metal case. I reckon it's close enough to make it ground out when I hit the switch, but it only happens then cos it's just the orange wire from the SATA, hence, the system works fine but the battery in the fan controller is toast.

Need to work out what I'm going to do with that extra SATA connector that's causing the problem.. :huh:

EDIT: Everything seems sorted now, it was just my Hardcano13 being an arse again, needed a fresh battery.

Edited by Hyper Threaded