New Btx Form Factor?

CoolMaster

So i've heard about it a lil, desgined by intel (i think maybe Im wrong), it did prove like....better than the old atx as far as airflow goes......but when do yall think it's really going to catch on, or is it gonna be like most of intels "New stuff" and not be really used, or do u think just intel will use it?

Im honestly tired of intel coming up with ALL this new stuff, I just UPGRADED, im not upgrading against till m2 socket comes out which will be in when?

mid 2006 or whatever?

sorry just wanted some input/opinions?

Umm, the BTX form factor was announced about the same time PCI-Express was, which was I think about 2 years ago. However, due to the massive changes, there were very few OEM models that utilized BTX and it never really caught on in the enthusiast market either (of course, that's probably cuz enthusiasts use AMD, but that's besides the point).

It's something Intel came up with and backed initially, but once they realized ATX wasn't the problem and that it was really their Preshott processors, they withdrew support, along with withdrawing support of PCI-Express (it was the video card companies that had invested so much money in that standard, so they are the reason it continued to exist)

So overall, BTX sounded like a great workaround to the ridiculously hot processors coming out of Intel but was a total bust since OEM customers didn't notice the heat and enthusiasts didn't have the problem since they were using cooler AMD processors.

correct me if im wrong, but i dont think there has been a single BTX motherboard made yet.  :blink:

586447[/snapback]

Yeah I think I've like seen one. If you look in some of the Best Buy ads the sell some of there computers BTX. I have seen a picture of how the airflow works on a BTX case, not a bad idea but I don't think it will catch on for a while at the rate it's going

Edited by Mr.Who?

Intel wants to push it, however without support from tier one mobo makers and case makers... intel's plans may be for nothing. personally I want the cpu as close to the top exhaust as possible, BTX really goes against that.