Can I Use The Nv Sliencer5 Rev3 With Sli?

Im sorry if this has been said allready, I propably was passed out when the information was being given but; Can I use the arctic cooling NV silencer 5 rev 3 with 2 7800GTX and the DFI LanParty SLI-DR? I noticed it said this on the website: "Note: This cooler requires an free PCI slot next to the video card". I know DFI came out with a new board with a larger sepeartion between the two cards, is that what that board was about, to make it compatible, or just to give them more space?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for more space, thje top card will run hotter with a NV5, actually may be cooler wth the stock cooler due to airflow, but i doubt it.

There's no 100% garuntee it will fit, but you have a free slot, so it should.

for more space, thje top card will run hotter with a NV5, actually may be cooler wth the stock cooler due to airflow, but i doubt it.

There's no 100% garuntee it will fit, but you have a free slot, so it should.

584976[/snapback]

Thanks bro, hopefully now that you bumped my thread up some more people can answer, but yours made perfect sense, I could leave the stock cooler on the top and put the silencer on the bottom one, Ill artic silver both though.

dude, you got the lp ut sli-dr too? :D or just the regular sli-dr... anyways i posted this question too, searching helps hehe. anyways its worth a try, even w/o sli, the silencer should help chipset temps according to people @ guru3d forums. as for the board, yes and yes, the sli spacing is fixed in the "sli-dr expert" and the board it self can support cas timings of 1.5 (if your ram can take it that is) and overall is a much better board, thanks to its CF brother which first came out. also take a look @ the CF board's pci-e spacings, thats how it is on the expert, the previous sli-dr like mines isnt that spaced out which is what you posted about.

dude psychotic why dont you hook your water cool up to it and run some dangerden nv-78's in SLi?

585296[/snapback]

maybe he doesnt want to risk ruining the 7800gtx? me, i still dont trust water, so its not going on my gtx.

585299[/snapback]

Actually, its firstly cause im allready at 6 feet of tubing which is the recommended maximum, and cause I would propably have to throw in another radiator to go; [processor->radiator->graphics->radiator]. Plus I can't run danger den, I've got 1/4ID tubing.

[Edit]

Would it be stupid to put an NV silencer only on the bottom one?

Edited by Psychotic_god

maybe he doesnt want to risk ruining the 7800gtx? me, i still dont trust water, so its not going on my gtx.

585299[/snapback]

i hear ya man, im afraid of water too, leavk =bad bad= money away :(

and for phcotic.

im nto sure try it out and see. pop a silencer on there and see how it performs compared to stock, the only way to know truly is to try it out and see if ti works for you, as most of the time it really depends on case airflow, etc, etc.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to bring this thread back with the following question: I got the eVGA 7800GTX with ASC3 technology which is basically a huge heatsink, would the use of the NV silencer5 rev3 an the application of artic silver 5 produce any lower temperatures.

You would probably get better answers over at EVGA.com in the community forums. If I remember right, though, those coolers really didn't turn out to be much more effective than the reference design. I believe that the nv silencer would be quite a bit better.