• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 akac

akac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:17 AM

well im going to make the move from intel to amd but i dont know what processor to get. im looking at this board http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813136165 because i want ati. yes i know i should go with nvidia but lets take one setp at a time, just be happy im going over to amd. im looking for a 939 processor and look to spend somewhere around $600 for it. what would be my best choice?

#2 Ste

Ste

Upon Gleening Infinity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4940 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:21 AM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103546

Yes I would buy a dual core, or maybe one of those opteron CABNE ones.

Representing The Crazies Since 2004

#3 Nagash

Nagash

The Ultra Heavy Beat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:26 AM

This would be my suggestion if you are wanting dual core. Also, when choosing a dual core CPU IMO it is better to stay with the Opterons as you can get the 1mb cache without having to go all the way up to the 4400+ X2.
Lian Li PC-75B with OCZ 520w Powerstream
DFI RDX200
AMD Opteron 148 cooled by Swiftech Storm
2 X 1024 Mb Mushkin Redline PC 4000
ATi X1800XT cooled by Danger Den Maze 4 and OCZ ramsinks

Antec 1080 AMG case with True 430 PSU
Barton 2500+ @ 2334 Mhz with SLK900A Abit NF7-S v 2.0
1024 Mb Mushkin lvl 2 PC 3500
ATi 9700 Pro @ 392 core 315 mem with Zalman VF700Cu

#4 GlimmerMan

GlimmerMan

Creamed Rice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

get an FX.. not worth moving to dual core yet.
Phenom II X3 720 (4th core unlocked) @3.4 stock volts | GA-MA790X-UD4P | 4GB Team Xtreme PC2-1066 | HD4870 512MB | 2x Dell E248WFP

#5 Ste

Ste

Upon Gleening Infinity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4940 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

get an FX.. not worth moving to dual core yet.

View Post

I didn't know there was an FX out for 600$ or less? :glare: :P

Representing The Crazies Since 2004

#6 Kamikaze_Badger

Kamikaze_Badger

(⌐■_■)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 07:27 PM

Both the FX and X2 were designed as workstation processors. The FX line is just about dead, and the X2 is more futureproofed. I would really recommend just getting an Opteron and some decent cooling (and I mean real cooling. Like vapour phase change. Watercooling is for n00bs), and OC the hell out of that. You won't hit 4+ Ghz on an FX, sorry.
Is my Razer Diamondback retro yet?
s

Graciously recommended from KB, is some muffricken Christian death metal. It is a must hear, it pushes envelopes, explores new ground. Words can't describe just now incredibly awesome this is. Cue the alter smashing, bench flipping, and bible reading while thrashing away at guitars and drums.

I witnessed regional Special Olympics and Challenge Day; there's far more intellect there than there is in internet arguments.

#7 BabyBalrog

BabyBalrog

Fighting the Retro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1650 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:31 PM

"Watercooling is for n00bs"
-lol at Badger

Personally i wouldn'y spend 600 on a CPU yet, but if you want to I say go Opteron. I think a price drop after the new FX and 5000+ come out will be the last good oen before the new sockets so i'd buy then. $90 for a Sempron 3000 is a decent headway into the world of 939
Posted Image

#8 habitual geek

habitual geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:35 PM

well im going to make the move from intel to amd but i dont know what processor to get.  im looking at this board http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813136165 because i want ati.  yes i know i should go with nvidia but lets take one setp at a time, just be happy im going over to amd.  im looking for a 939 processor and look to spend somewhere around $600 for it. what would be my best choice?

View Post

i just wonder why if you know you should go nvidia are you buying a $200 motherboard that is specifically to be used with ATI cards?

thats like saying, i know i shouldn't be driving into that wall, but i think i will do it anyways.........

#9 akac

akac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:31 AM

I’ve always bought NVIDIA just because the computer store in my town only sold NVIDIA cards but after my last purchase that I had to rma with newegg 3 times and then they finely discontinued the card was the last straw with NVIDIA. I’ve had ati ever since and have never turned back. About the only thing that I do that is really graphically intense is play EQ2 which my computer that I have now can handle that very well.

oh and about the water cooling i just put that in my computer so i will just buy a new water block for the processor. im not going to or will ever need phase change because if i do over clock its not going to be that much. im not to sure about amd but i dont think they get as hot as my little heat plate (prescott) that i have right now.

Edited by akac, 18 November 2005 - 02:45 AM.

#10 hardnrg

hardnrg

Overclocking the i7... finally

• Honorary Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16487 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:16 AM

You won't hit 4+ Ghz on an FX, sorry.

View Post

4.096GHz
http://valid.x86-sec...oc.php?id=40258

you don't need to spend $600 on a processor for it to totally own... i'd suggest spreading the cost over a decent cpu, ram, mobo, and psu... :)

( How To Ask A Question ) · ( [email protected] Sigpics ) · ( Rules ) · ( USB Bootdrive ) · ( Modding & Computer Stores ) · ( OCC facebook.png )
i7 920 D0 @ 21x196=4116, HT on · D-Tek Fuzion v1 · 3x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-10666 @ DDR1176, 8-8-8-22-1T
BFG/XFX GTX260 Maxcore SLI @ 756/1512/1188 (Swiftech MCW60-R + Swiftech GTX200) · Asus P6T Deluxe V2
X-Fi XtremeMusic (Hotrodded) · PCP&C Silencer 750

Athlon II X4 635 @ 2900 · 2x 2GB PC2-6400 · HD5550 1GB · Asus M4A77D · Antec Neopower 480

EeePC 1000H @ 12x164=1965 · 1x 2GB Corsair VS PC2-5300 · Gigabyte Aircruiser N300 GN-WI06N

#11 oralpain

oralpain

Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 05:52 PM

I'm very suspicious of that Crosfire DFI board. It appears to have some major problems.

#12 Kamikaze_Badger

Kamikaze_Badger

(⌐■_■)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 06:06 PM

Fine, you won't hit much above 4.1Ghz on an FX without an ES (I'll shut up now to keep my butt safe from the people I know).

Looking at things in the extremes, watercooling temps are much too high. For the amount of money you spend on a setup, and running the risk of leaks, you may as well build yourself a VPC (and let natural selection take it's course if need be). Much cheaper than buying a Vapochill or Mach II.

There's litterally an entire Freon VPC system in my brother's closet. However, for Freon to have full effect, you would need to have either 2.5 volts of Vcore on your CPU, or have it heating enough to dissipate the heat enough. As soon as I make myself a block (I'll be making measurements in a bit on my K8N Neo2-F), I will start some extreme overclocking. Extreme overclocking can only be done if you can blow on your CPU really hard, or if you have an extreme cooling setup, such as a VPC, Dice, or LN2 (For the slow: Dice = Dry Ice, and LN2 = Nitrogen cooled down to the point that it's liquid). I prefer the former for longitivity reasons, really.

If you truly want the best, get an Opty and a VPC. You can make the latter for a fraction of what some will charge you. Have fun, and post your results. And remember: Absolute zero can not be reached, don't try a 20 stage cascade, and Mountain Dew is tastey.
Is my Razer Diamondback retro yet?
s

Graciously recommended from KB, is some muffricken Christian death metal. It is a must hear, it pushes envelopes, explores new ground. Words can't describe just now incredibly awesome this is. Cue the alter smashing, bench flipping, and bible reading while thrashing away at guitars and drums.

I witnessed regional Special Olympics and Challenge Day; there's far more intellect there than there is in internet arguments.