Defragment

Encrypted_God

Gotta nother question (or 2): Is it possible to have your Drive(s) completely Defraged? And how does one rearrange files on the disk to there proper location RE: important ones in the front of disk and the least important ones at the end. Or do I have that mixed up...

577987[/snapback]

Sure format the drive. Completely 100% defragged.

Just don't add any data or you will mess up that good percentage. :lol:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ReiserFS handles fragments well so I just let it do its thing.

577899[/snapback]

i was gonna ask if linux needed defraggin, i aint ever heard of a program for it, so i didnt worry bout it much. so thanks, i feel better now.

oh and for my final windows machine, before i get the time to move it over to linux, its only fragmented if the little red lines are apart, because if 2/3 of the drive is one solid red block, its not really fragmented, right? because all the same color files are together, right?

j/k

but yes, i frag that badly :P

I use the windows defrager most of the time, but DLed and tried O&O out last night...i dont see it as worth my effort. I defrag the main rig about once every 2 months, LAN rig when i think about it (3 months?) and the stuff running older HDDs that cant really keep up with XP pro get a defrag when they show a little slow down (old 4GB HDD doesnt like XP anyway got to help it all i can :lol:)

LOL...funny.BTW Hardnrg, Twice a year??  :O holy Man!! Shooot I defrag atleast twice a week!!

578059[/snapback]

I defrag my drives whenever I start to notice an increase in load times, which usually happens maybe once a month. I used to schedule Diskeeper to defrag while I slept, so I would get a defragged drive every morning. Hmm, maybe I should do that again.....

I defrag my drives whenever I start to notice an increase in load times, which usually happens maybe once a month. I used to schedule Diskeeper to defrag while I slept, so I would get a defragged drive every morning. Hmm, maybe I should do that again.....

578473[/snapback]

:withstupid:

Especially when benchmarking. If you check the logs the .dat files from most benchmarks get horribly fragmented, and actually lower your score.

I am getting the feeling ot getting the average that alot of people (or us here in OCC) uses the Windows Defrager. Hmm..Pretty reassuring to me. I read somewhere that it is good to reformat and do a clean install of windows atleast once a year. True?