Amd Mp Questions

I currently have a MSI KD7 Master, with 2 AMD MP with each of them OC'd to I think 1.8 GHz but I want to get new processors, I can't find some faster ones around 2.0 GHz not OC'd, can someone help me find where the cheapest ones that are 2.0 GHz. Oh yeah they are Socket A.

Also I have another question about Dual Processors, can you have 2 AMD 2000+ XP that are Socket A?

Edited by gotdamojo06

Edit: NVM!

If they do exsist, check at used part stores. I doubt they would be at Newegg or carriers like them.

Edited by Ste

AXPs don't work in an MP configuration.

574837[/snapback]

well... here's how it worked.

ALL socket A chips were SMP ready off the line. some were modded to disable that... these chips were called XP's, the all natural ones were called MP's. and much like unlocking multipliers on XP chips you could also unlock SMP on them.

but here's the catch, barton is out, 166mhz fsb is out. you're gonna need some T-bred A athlons. and they won't be easy to find. the official end to the MP was the 2400+ which was 2ghz... nothing higher than that.

now factor in price to performance here. a single Athlon 64 3000+ would kick the ever loving snot out of a pair of 2400+ athlon MP's (still have a dual 2400+ server so I'd know :( ). for roughly the same price as a pair of real athlon MP 2400+'s you can get a new mobo and processor that will perform 75% better.

bigred so you have a dual mp server with both of them 2400+?

if you ever decide to get a new system, ill possibly buy them off of you. It sucks that they discontinued the mp series, even tho there is better and cheeper cpus. I dont have the money to upgrade to a new system and I dont know if I want to jump into the 64 bit area. The reason is because of what i have heard, do you think you could clear this misconception up?

I have heard that you can't run many 32 bit applications in the X64 edition of XP PRO and if you use the 64 bit processor in the X32 version of XP PRO, you wont get the full power of the processor.

If this is false please correct me and let me know, that might change my mind about the X64, I know that they are fast as hell tho! LOL

Some 32 bit apps cant run on the 64 version that is true. however the main concern is driver support. Although drivers are out, most of them are in beta stages.

You will see an imensly small increase in performance using x64. It's not really worth it yet because of the lack of software that suports it. I'de stick with normal XP for now.

32bit power lol... my opteron 146 (2.0ghz, 1MB L2 cache) even beats some of the new dual core Pentium 4's haha... overclocked of course

3118mhzsuicidesandra7mf.th.gif

i believe the opteron 165 is the dual core version of my processor and i've seen people with each core at 3.0ghz...

here's some superpi 1m...

3080mhz1to1superpi1mcro1mg.gif

maybe run sandra cpu test and superpi 1m yourself and compare results...