Gaming Rig Monitor?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no... not really... 21" and 22" crt's have a viewable size of 20"... so they're still bigger... you can set them at any resolution and they look great... so i can set some games at 1600x1200 and it looks really good whereas an lcd would look awful...

i like the fact that i'm not tied to one resolution :)

I also don't like LCD's because of thier higher response times and lower color quality.

I can only hope the technology will improve.

Aye, the biggest reason I dislike LCDs is because you only get one resolution with them. CRTs = <3.

557108[/snapback]

Ummmm, no?

I just got done running X-Com UFO Defense (one of the greatest games ever, circa 1993) and Starcraft at 640X480, Call of Duty 2 Demo at 800X600, F.E.A.R. at 1024X768, and BF2 at 1280X1024. All of these were ran on my Viewsonic VP912b LCD Monitor. The only game that looks noticeably blurry was X-Com, but what do you expect, the game is 12 years old.

Edited by Nagash

Ummmm, no?

I just got done running X-Com UFO Defense (one of the greatest games ever, circa 1993) at 640X480, Starcraft at 800X600, F.E.A.R. at 1024X768, and BF2 at 1280X1024.  All of these were ran on my Viewsonic VP912b LCD Monitor.  The only game that looks noticeably blurry was X-Com, but what do you expect, the game is 12 years old.

557193[/snapback]

star craft @ 800x600, how? its always 640x480 for me, anyways crt's are great but since ive been using lcds for a while, crts bothers my eyes :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, LCD's can scale, but a good eye can spot it immediately.

The way I see it:

CRTS pros:

better color reproduction and blacks

multiple resolutions without interpolation

less ghosting

LCD pros:

clearer text

significantly smaller size

Me? I go both ways. I love the lcd on my laptop, but when I photo edit at home, I use my sony fw-900. Its a 24" widescreen crt that can do 2304 x 1440 (but I usually run it at 1920x1200 @ 85hz). It gives me better color control.

edit: and I just dug up an old thread wihout realizing. Sorry! :(

Edited by ravix

CRTs for picture quality and clarity. LCDs for convienteint moving and desk space, projectors... eh... not so good i ran CS:S on a projector at my moms source was fine its just the text that you can't read LOL

i personally use a 19" and a 17" both samsung. 790DF and the 900SL.

and i dont recall anyone mentioning that LCDs are still HEAVY!! my moms LG Flatron 19" with 8ms weighs as much as my 17" CRT. and noone even answered his question on wheather or not he should use a Projector all i hear is CRT vs LCD. Projectors are a waste though. if its hardcore gaming CRT if its movies and wanna just show off to all your friends that your computer can run a movie on a wall get a projector.. otherwise i suddgest just getting a DVD player and hooking it up to the projector.. careful with the bulbs though they cost like 400 bucks to replace.