#1 Aristotle

Aristotle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:00 AM

Some basic info here.

ACLU's coverage of the event.

I can only hope things don't go from bad to worse...

#2 Nerm

Nerm

OCC Beefcake

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:38 AM

I hope it goes through. How man was created is not 100% proven fact so it is not right that schools teach only evolution as if it were an absolute fact but at the same time they shouldn't teach creation as absolute fact either. They should teach both theories and let the students decide for themselves.

Rig #1 :: Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz :: 2x HD4850 Crossfire :: Asus P5K3 Premium Black Pearl ::

Rig #2 :: i7-3930K @ 4Ghz :: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series :: Evga GTX 670 :: Asus P9X79 Pro :: OCZ Vertex 256GB SSD ::
HTPC :: 4850e :: HD2600xt :: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H :: 1TB Storage ::
OCC Site Rules :: Site Help FAQ :: Extreme Cooling FAQ :: OCC Benchmark Team

#3 dangerousfigure

dangerousfigure

Emulation GoD

• SETI Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:46 AM

yes i feel the same way,i do not beleave in god or any higher powers but i do think they should teach both to open peoples eyes,school is not ment to be something where you go and just take everything someone says and make it fact, school is ment to teach you to think on your own.
Msi k8n neo2 plat
amd fx-55
corsair xms llpt 2-2-2-6-1t 2.8v
WD raptor 74gig
5x WD 200gig
SB audigy 2 zs
Ati X800xt pe

#4 BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 05:50 AM

But when you look at a school as a public domain it is constitutionaly illegal to teach creationism because it is taken from a religeous belief. Evolution on the other hand is based on sound scientific evidence.
-SkyHawk/EagleTech 520W PSU
-AMD Athlon 64 3700+
-Biostar NF325-A7 (it was free so shut your mouth!)
-GeForce4 Ti4200 64Mb (having trouble killing this one)
-Creative Soundblaster 24-bit Live! 5.1

#5 dangerousfigure

dangerousfigure

Emulation GoD

• SETI Member
  • 527 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:10 AM

go read your facts, creationism, they are not say GOD in general made us, just a higher power, this is censorship to the fullest, let people think for their crap self, yes creationism is a theory but guess what so is evolution, they are not opening up a bible and teaching ,why is it wrong for a teacher to say look Evolution is where science says we come from d but not everone beleaves in this some beleave in creationism,. really its sad to see so many shallow minded people, it just show who is able to think for them selfs and not have others do it for them
Msi k8n neo2 plat
amd fx-55
corsair xms llpt 2-2-2-6-1t 2.8v
WD raptor 74gig
5x WD 200gig
SB audigy 2 zs
Ati X800xt pe

#6 BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:21 AM

go read your facts, creationism, they are not say GOD in general made us, just a higher power, this is censorship to the fullest, let people think for their crap self, yes creationism is a theory but guess what so is evolution, they are not opening up a bible and teaching ,why is it wrong for a teacher to say look Evolution is where science says we come from d but not everone beleaves in this some beleave in creationism,. really its sad to see so many shallow minded people, it just show who is able to think for them selfs and not have others do it for them

View Post

What is the basis for creationist theory, where is the evidence? This is not about people being shallow minded, this is about protecting the founding principles of this republic. If creationism is taught to students in a public domain then the out constitutional principles mean nothing.
-AMD Athlon 64 3700+

#7 savethedodobird

savethedodobird

I have the important Papers.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:21 AM

Actually neither of them can either reach the rank of theory. Because neither can be reproduced. So scientificly they are both hypothesis. No evidence for either.
I agree that they should both be taught not as fact or even theory but hypothesis.

And on another note there is nothing in the constitution about seperation of church and state. The constitution says "There shall be no church state" I fail to see where this says you cant teach about religion in the school.
My sig went AWOL

Then it came back.

So I deleted it again.

#8 BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:26 AM

Actually neither of them can either reach the rank of theory.  Because neither can be reproduced.  So scientificly they are both hypothesis.  No evidence for either.

View Post

How can you say that? Have you never taken a biology class? And yes evolution can be reproduced. Why do you think the enfluenza virus recirculates every year? It is contantly evolving, changing its RNA structure to adapt to different antibodies. Just one small example.
-AMD Athlon 64 3700+

#9 savethedodobird

savethedodobird

I have the important Papers.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:30 AM

Your looking at micro evolution not macro evolution. A virus has yet to become something more complex.
My sig went AWOL

Then it came back.

So I deleted it again.

#10 SparXalt

SparXalt

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:32 AM

I'm with Dodobird on this one. since neither can be reproduced or seen diectly they both require a belief, a "faith" if you will.

And as to it being constitutional. The constitiotion says nothing as to "the seperation of church and state." that is a misquoted line from a private letter written by thomas jefferson to a friend. But once again dodobird is right, it refered to the State church, as in you were roman catholic or you weren't a citizen.

"Don't believe everything you hear, know your history, and weigh all the side equally before you decide"
Nah, we've got enough innocent monks as it is.

#11 BarneyGumble

BarneyGumble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:34 AM

Your looking at micro evolution not macro evolution.  A virus has yet to become something more complex.

View Post

This an excuse for ignorance created by people who believe the creationist myth. Micro or macro, EVOLUTION is still in the name.
-AMD Athlon 64 3700+

#12 VolcomPimp

VolcomPimp

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2179 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 06:35 AM

I think we need to step back and think about the kids for a second.
Give them a break, it pisses them off enough that they have to learn
evolution as if they care in the first place but at least it makes sense.
Now we have religious right wingers playing the name game again
trying to force their beliefs down kids throats as if they need
anything else to study. If I was a kid and had to learn this crap
in school, I'd burn a bible every day after school just to keep
myself from slippen.