User Friendly Linux?

lost

well i think i wanna give linux a try. i've been meaning to give it a try, i tried using it a few years ago, but lost interest after it was giving me some problems but i think its time that i give linux another try. any ideas on what way i should go?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and there are even easier distros out there (lindows, etc.) but if you are doing linux so that you can learn about it and use it, I'd say go with fc4, suse, ubuntu. I chose fc4 since it seemed to give the most basic access, but still offer some noob options. From what i've heard, and i don't know if it's true, is that suse is somewhat limiting on changing config files yourself, you have to use YAST and there are other GUIs.

user friendly linux is an oxymoron. i tried fedora core 4 and firefox wouldnt even install right, i dont even want to think about actually installing it instead of using VMWare because i use WiFi... haha user-friendly linux :lol:

edit

start flaming

Edited by nan0click

ubuntu isnt n00b friendly, it doesn't have a graphical install tool and partitioning is intimidating to new users. Start where everyone starts, FC4, Mandriva or FreeSpire...

Yes like KB said ubuntu is a little bit between the distros that hold your hand and ones that are a little bit more challenging like debian. But ubuntu is pretty easy to install, I had no problems, but you might want to read up on the partitioning part just in case. But I would recomend ubuntu if you want to learn a little bit more, like what to do if X wont start. If the distro was holding your hand the whole time you wouldnt know where the xorg.conf file is and how to edit to find out what was wrong. IMO it is better to take some time learning about linux that taking a chance with a distro that distro where if something happens the only thing you can do is reinstall. Fedora is pretty good too, its a little bit more graphical than ubuntu, and is red hat based vs ubuntu's debian base, but their similar their handholding-learning ratio.

ubuntu isnt n00b friendly, it doesn't have a graphical install tool and partitioning is intimidating to new users. Start where everyone starts, FC4, Mandriva or FreeSpire...

536986[/snapback]

What have you been smoking? lol...Ubuntu is very easy.