Need Parental Advice

bigred

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i think that chain idea would work pretty well... but if he is 2 he might be able to go through the door if it opened a little bit.

528366[/snapback]

Then you would just shorten the chain. :)

My parents always had a little lock at the top of the basement door cause they didnt want us wandering down there. It was one of those with a hook and then an eyehole thingy that it went into (I'm sure everyone's seen one before, I just cant think of a name for it). I'm assuming that someone tall enough to lock it whenever someone leaves would be around when the little is home. Or you could get a deadbolt and install it at the top of the door (or high enough to keep it out of his reach for a few years).

I know this may be a pain for everyone else in the family, but it will keep him safe.

Guest Silenc3

Type of Doornobs red?

I have plenty of siblings and have seen this type of situation plenty of times, check in your phonebook for a baby/kid 'saftey 1st' shop. They have plenty of things to keep your kiddos from opening doors and tons of other stuff.

if you have the standard round doornobs they have doornob covers that slip over the door nob and it takes a stronger grip then a 2 yearold has to open the door, otherwise the cover over the doornob just slips around unless you squeze it. most stores has these in there baby section, like walmart, target, even sears etc... I had to use those with my daughter, she loved to go out by herself at 20months, and we had a pond about 100 yards away.

child proof doornobs

if you go onto that page, on the right side they also have the style for the french door handle type.

good luck red.

Edited by william488

It's actually Ducktape, as dubbed by the US Army in WWII because of it's ability to keep water out of weapons. It's a child of medical tape, and was originally green for camo.

Because the original tape was made of cotton duck fabric, and it repelled moisture like "water off a duck's back", it was originally referred to as "duck tape". The original term came into modern usage with the introduction of "Duck Tape", a registered trademark of Duck Products.

After the war, the housing industry boomed and people started using duct tape for many other purposes. The name "duct tape" came from its use on heating and air conditioning ducts, a purpose for which it, ironically, has been deemed ineffective by the state of California and by building codes in most other places in the U.S. (which means professionals are restricted from using it in systems they install, but do-it-yourselfers are not). However metallized and aluminum tapes used by professionals are still often called "duct tapes".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

agian I have to take another child into consideration when dealing with this. a lock that keeps them both locked up wont' cut it.

I'm going down to the general store (god that's a werid thing to say) and see what they have :(

For a bunch of folks who admit they have no children, they've still managed to give some pretty good answers. In my case, I DO have a 2-year-old (but I'm lucky, I have naturally difficult doorknobs).

I think the hook and eye lock placed out of reach might be the best answer (nice and cheap, easy to install and remove). If you have double-keyed deadbolts, you can get the same function using them and removing the key. Install a hook for the key high enough that it can't be reached to give the rest of the family SOME measure of convenience.

According to my brother (4 kids), the safety doorknob thingies definitely keep the younguns from operating the door, and adults will still be able to use the door -- if they know how to remove the device completely... Just put it back after you open the door ;)

Finally, you could put a child gate OUTSIDE the door (so it still opens freely into the house). You adults can step over the gate and the toddler will remain stuck inside. Of course, it looks silly to the neighborhood and is a real pain when you're carrying groceries, but there is no perfect solution...

Good luck,

R.