Cpu Won't Run Up To Speed

cactusgal

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, um, he is a she and I do have another PC with a Gigabyte mobo and an AthlonXP 2800+, running at proper speed now that I switched the jumper setting to overclock (and it definitely has no Multiplier, strange, huh?)

The system in question is my daughter's Asus A7N8X (2.0) and AthlonXP 3000+ (and it's definitely an XP).

I've updated the BIOS and still no dice. It simply won't run above fsb 133, multi 13 (1733mhz.) and the memory frequency reads, on the post screen, 166mhz. I did actually get it to restart twice this morning, after resetting to 166, showing 3000+ on the post screen but then the HD wouldn't start (same deal as before). Then when I turned it off and restarted it was back the 133mhz. on the post screen with the reset CPU speed, safe mode, etc. message and just sits there 'til I go back into the BIOS and reset it back to 133.

So, I guess, if no one has any other ideas to try I'll just have to give it up or perhaps, if it is a fubared mobo, get in touch with Asus about it as they do warranty their boards for 3 years and this's 1 1/2 years old. So, maybe.....

I am running just one 512 mb. PC2700 ram chip right now, but it was the same deal when I put in my 2 512mb. PC 3200, dual channel so I can't see that that would be an issue.

Trying to run it as a 400fsb (it's definitely a 333fsb) wouldn't have caused a problem would it :blush: ? It was doing all this even before I tried that. What sorts of problems could that have caused? I was just trying a bunch of different things :rolleyes: .

Well, thanks for all your help, guys. Any other ideas?

Think I'll pull the CPU and put it in mine and I have an older Duron 1300 I'll try in there instead. She wants me to set it up with that as a gift for a friend.

cactusgal

Edited by cactusgal

i dnty know if its already been aswered but, you have a faulty motherboard i had exactlly the same problem with the same mobo, there nothing you can do even if you set the fsb higher the clock speed wont change

When I had a A7N8X (2.0) and an xp 2500 (borth mobile and regular) I could not get mult 13 to work for the life of me. I went through somthing like 3 mobos dealing with teh issue. I eventually gave up. I haven't been able to find the topic I think it's called 13.

I had a gigabyte motherboard and then I got a AMD XP Mobile chip thinking that I could overclock it some, but then it was only running at 600mhz. I then realized that with my motherboard I couldnt change the multi. So I would check with that to see if its a mobile CPU or not. other than that i cant really think of anything other than trying it in your other system to see if its the chip or the motherboard.

good luck.

When I had a A7N8X (2.0) and an xp 2500 (borth mobile and regular) I could not get mult 13 to work for the life of me. I went through somthing like 3 mobos dealing with teh issue. I eventually gave up. I haven't been able to find the topic I think it's called 13.

528982[/snapback]

Why are you trying to a 13x multiplier anyway? The 2500+ has a 11x multplier.

As for the board, there are lots of others out there that say they can't above 12.5x with the Rev 2.0.

One last gasp, shot in the dark here. Is there a possibility that the power supply may not be adequate? What would be the minimum for this to run properly? Otherwise, guess the mobo's fubar, at least for this CPU.

cactusgal

Sorry cactusgal.. If my eyes had been open and lookin' at your tag I would have worked it out but then i'm dense.. lol

And yes psu's have been known to cause probs with systems like the 1's you have but I have to agree with the other posts here that you have a bad mobo.. :(

Just an update to this situation. I installed the XP 3000+ onto my Gigabyte mobo and it's coming up on the post screen and in Control Panel/System exactly as it should. So seems you guys are right and it's that Asus board that's at fault. But it's less than 1 year old so we should be able to get them to make good on it. They'd told me before that the warranty's good for 3 years.

Also, I did try installing that 1300mhz. Duron chip onto the Asus mobo and now it won't even start at all. Of course I did go into the BIOS and reset the fsb and multiplier. And the CPU can only go on 1 way and it did fit. So go figure.

And, hey, Cyberpunk, we all make those mistakes, lol.

Thanks to you all for your help and input.

cactusgal

Edited by cactusgal

Hi

I was reading this thread, and i'm having kind of the same problem. I just built a new computer. Giabyte motherboard, Athlon 64 3000+ and what's happening is the computer boots into bios fine, but it takes forever. Just entering the bios takes like 40 seconds. It looks like when it finds the processor it's only picking it up at 200 mhz.

Where was this jumper you changed on your gigbyte motherboard to make it pick up the full speed?

Also, i don't know about anyone elses board but on mine the multipler is under the over clocking section (i forget what they called it) under a tab called Harddrive fib or something like that. I changed that from startup to x9 1800mhz. But it's still picking the cpu up at 200.