Cpu Won't Run Up To Speed

cactusgal

Are you sure your memory FSB is set to 166?  You're getting 1733mhz, which is exactly what you would get if you set the memory to 133 and the multi to 13.  It's also very close to what you would get if your multi was actually set to 10.5  Have you gone back in and made sure the settings are how you want them after reboot?

526189[/snapback]

Yeah...somethign isnt set properly, and i would certainly guess 133 is what it's being set to (considering it's the EXACT you should be getting with 133 x 13...as for what the chip SHOULD run 166 x 13 = full speed (and im nto doing the math lol) that is unless it is actually a 400FSB chip...mybe try setting FSB to 200...bc the bios could SAY multiplier at 13, yet it actually boots 10.5 bc the chip would be locked....basically are you 100% sure it's a 333 fsb chip instead of a 400?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...somethign isnt set properly, and i would certainly guess 133 is what it's being set to (considering it's the EXACT you should be getting with 133 x 13...as for what the chip SHOULD run 166 x 13 = full speed (and im nto doing the math lol) that is unless it is actually a 400FSB chip...mybe try setting FSB to 200...bc the bios could SAY multiplier at 13, yet it actually boots 10.5 bc the chip would be locked....basically are you 100% sure it's a 333 fsb chip instead of a 400?

526192[/snapback]

Wow, please don't do that.

I think cchalo's right, but you can't just go in and set the fsb to 400, because if your cpu IS a 333, you could have a lot of problems. If you want to try to test out 400fsb, you need to start by going to 340, then 350, 360, etc. Like I said before, you need to treat it like you're overclocking. Maybe your chip is meant to run that way, but maybe it's not. Better safe than sorry.

Here's the thing. I think he could definately be right because if your chip was actually a 400FSB, then it would multi lock at 10.5, so if you set the mobo to 166x13, you would actually get 166x10.5, which is 1743mhz (sound familiar?). If you want to test this, I will again suggest CPU-Z from the link above, because it will tell you what your multiplier is really running at. If it's stuck at 10.5, then you have a 400fsb chip, and if it goes higher, then it's a 333fsb. In fact, you might fire up CPU-Z and find out your chip isn't even really a 3000+. You just don't know at this point. But if you run CPU-Z and see what your fsb, multi, and chip specs are, I think we can help a lot more.

Also, if you do have a 400fsb chip, but don't have ddr400 ram, you'll default to 333fsb. That could be another problem that would cause what you're seeing.

Are you sure your memory FSB is set to 166?  You're getting 1733mhz, which is exactly what you would get if you set the memory to 133 and the multi to 13.  It's also very close to what you would get if your multi was actually set to 10.5 and your memory to 166.  Have you gone back in and made sure the settings are how you want them after reboot?

Try downloading CPU-Z and see what kind of chip it says you have.  It will also tell you what your FSB and multi are really running at.

526189[/snapback]

Okay, I've tried everything but standing on my head :P I can only set this at fsb 133 and multi 13 to run at 1733 mhz. (with two 512 mbs. PC3200 dual channel ram) When I boost the fsb to 166 IF it restarts it shows on the post screen as Athlon XP3000+ but my HD or Windows won't boot, whatever. Then when I restart it it comes up as the miserable 1300 mhz.and mem 100mhz. (in the BIOS it still says 166) and a message of not shut down properly, safe mode, go into BIOS and reset CPU speed ya-da, ya-da :angry2: . Most times it won't restart and I have to shut it off manually and restart and get the same thing. This is definitely an XP 3000+ 333 fsb (I checked my purchase invoice).

At fsb 133 and multi 13, CPU-Z confirms that, plus: core speed 1726.2mhz. bus speed 265.6mhz. (after removing my ram and putting back the 512 PC2700, not sure if that makes a difference or not)

cactusgal

Okay, I've tried everything but standing on my head :P I can only set this at fsb 133 and multi 13 to run at 1733 mhz. (with two 512 mbs. PC3200 dual channel ram) When I boost the fsb to 166 IF it restarts it shows on the post screen as Athlon XP3000+ but my HD or Windows won't boot, whatever. Then when I restart it it comes up as the miserable 1300 mhz.and mem 100mhz. (in the BIOS it still says 166) and a message of not shut down properly, safe mode, go into BIOS and reset CPU speed ya-da, ya-da :angry2: . Most times it won't restart and I have to shut it off manually and restart and get the same thing. This is definitely an XP 3000+ 333 fsb (I checked my purchase invoice).

At fsb 133 and multi 13, CPU-Z confirms that, plus: core speed 1726.2mhz. bus speed 265.6mhz. (after removing my ram and putting back the 512 PC2700, not sure if that makes a difference or not)

cactusgal

526345[/snapback]

Ur supposed to be running the fsb at 166, not 133.

Something wrong with the memory or the memory controller on the mobo?

Maybe the 'by SPD' settings aren't being detected properly and its trying to run the RAM at timings which it can't do?

Can't elaborate now, going out.. possible problems though? (someone else can pick up on this if they feel it might be useful)

I'm just totally at sea here :angry2: . I've tried any number of times to get this set right. The most recent, when I set the fsb at 166, multi 13 it didn't restart and when I restarted it myself it read, on the post screen, Main Processor Athlon XP 1300mhz., Memory Frequency 166 but then won't leave the post screen (with the safe mode, reset cpu speed message). I went back into the BIOS and reset it back to 133 then it restarted reading Main CPU Athlon XP 1733mhz., Memory Frequency 166mhz. yet it still reads 133 in the BIOS. :angry:

This's just twisting my head around but I really want to fix it. Any suggestions? Is the board screwed (it's only a little over a year old and the warranty is for 3)? Update the BIOS? Pull the CMOS? And what sort of problems would be created trying to run a 333fsb as 400fsb (just for my info)?

And thanks to you all for trying to help.

cactusgal

I"m too lazy here to read what's been already said -

but do you know the speed of the RAM in the system?

Have you tried forcing 166Mhz FSB with the jumpers or setting it at default?

What's your current multiplier setting?

Have you tried "Load Optimized Defaults" in the BIOS?

What is the power rating of the power supply in that system?

The only other thing I can think of is if the CPU is actually a Barton 3000+? The 3000+ has been supported on the A7N8X since PCB version 1.04 w/ the 1002 BIOS. The last thing I can only think of is the board being FUBAR which is not an uncommon sight for A7N8X's on the 2.0 PCB.

Check to ensure that the board is not a pre-1.04 version. Anything previous to that can't run a 3000+.

Edited by FxXP