Cpu Won't Run Up To Speed

cactusgal

I just joined here at the suggestion of a tech friend. I'm fairly new to all this, only having my own PC for about 2 years, plus being old to boot, lol :P But I did build my current system last December :thumbs-up: and it all works fine ;)

I'm dealing, currently, with my daughter's PC, an Asus A7N8X motherboard and an AthlonXP 3000+ CPU that I cant seem to get running over 1300 mhz. I've checked the jumper on the board and, at least according to the manual, it's set right. Also, I've gone into the BIOS and adjusted the FSB setting and Multiplier, although I'm not sure I've done that exactly right, being a relative newbie and all. It still shows up on the post screen at 1300 mhz.

My AthlonXP 2800+ was running much too slowly at first but is now running up to speed (2.08 ghz.) on my Gigabyte motherboard (GA-7N400-L) after I reset the jumper. It doesn't have a multiplier, so it was as simple as resetting that jumper.

What can I do to get this other system running at the proper speed? Any help would be appreciated.

cactusgal

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uh, either im confused or u are cause when u buy a processor especially AMD the 3000 + doesn't mean it runs at 3.00 ghz, a 2800 doesn't mean it runs at 2.8 or 2.08 ghz, I have a 3200 and its runs 2.0 ghz at stock as it should, what your doing is overclocking them.

Edit: your not serious are you?

Edited by Ste

AMD XPs and 64s run different than intels thats why they have a lower clock speed. Either make sure your overclock is stable or revert back to stock.

That and the 2800+ does stock at 2.08ghz...what are you changing in the BIOS and what are you setting it to?

525182[/snapback]

ok wait wait wait that makes no since to me at all, there is no logic to this system, my 3200 is at 2.00 ghz stock so how in the hell is a 2800+ at 2.08 stock shouldn't the 3200 be higher than a 2800. that is the stupidest thing i have ever seen, they have no logic to that speed rankning system. how come they can't make it normal, like the lower one thing is the lower its speed, like a a 2800 is below a 3200 like it should be.

sounds to me like the bios doesnt know what chip it is so it runs it default. do a bios update and see if it fix's it

the 2800 is at 2ghz b/c of bus 333 i think the 3200 is 2ghz at 400fsb am i right? those xp chips are screwy i swear, i gave up after 266 (2400+) and waited for the 64's to come out.

everyone forgets the xps like every 3 changed bus speed so you couldnt upgrade, it was so dumb i got my 2000+ and 2 months later found out they kept the socket and changed the bus to 333 than later changed to 400. very pointless.

so either this guys bios hasnt been upadated or his motherboard doesnt support 400fsb.

Edited by hornybluecow

that is the whole point of the system! it takes into account more than clock speed.

for instance:

your 3200+ is:

2.0 ghz

64-bit

400 FSB

The 2800+ is:

2.08 ghz

32-bit

333 FSB

this shows that in AMD's mind, bus speed and 64-bit is much more important than the extra .08 ghz.