Cpu Won't Run Up To Speed

cactusgal

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll clarify. It's an XP 3000+ 333fsb which, I realize, isn't supposed to run at 3ghz. However, it should be running slightly above 2 as my 2800+ does (a tiny bit faster than 2.08, perhaps?). Assuming that the higher the number the faster?

I will look into updating the BIOS. But also, I'm not sure how I should set the multiplier (since my Gigabyte board doesn't have one). I was told that it isn't just a matter of resetting the fsb but the multiplier also.

Sorry to sound like a dunce, but I'm pretty new to some of this stuff, learning all the time and just want to get it right.

cactusgal

Edited by cactusgal

you need to go to gigabytes website and see if they have any updated manuals for your board if it is still supported (should be). what you might wanna do it remove the battery and leave it for like 10min to an hour and put it back in and check it out.

you need to go to gigabytes website and see if they have any updated manuals for your board if it is still supported (should be). what you might wanna do it remove the battery and leave it for like 10min to an hour and put it back in and check it out.

525716[/snapback]

Sorry. Clear as mud again I am, I guess. The CPU in question is on an Asus board. Just that I got my 2800+ on my Gigabyte board running at 2.08ghz. by simply changing the jumper setting on the board. Unfortunately, on this Asus board (A7N8X) the jumper is already set for max speed, according to the manual, so it should be in the BIOS, the fsb and the multiplier settings? At least I'm hoping so but I'm not sure what they should be set to to get the true speed out of the CPU.

cactusgal

you should update the bios, sometimes old versions dont support certain chips properly. try out the 3200 on your gigabyte and tell me the results you get. and remember just because the 3200 performs slightly slower ghz wise, doesnt mean its literally slower. i got a prebuilt with a 3200 in it, ill check out the stock speeds on it, and it runs @ ddr333 speeds, not ddr400 like some i seen.

Sometimes it amazes me how much misinformation and irrelivant posts you get with topics like these. It seems like people think they -have- to post on every thread, even if they don't know what they're talking about or have nothing to contribute.

As far as the 3000+ Socket A Athlon XP, there are two flavors, and your speed is too low no matter which you have...

the 333FSB Version runs stock at 166 mem and 13 multi

the 400FSB Version runs stock at 200 mem and 10.5 multi

Your motherboard SHOULD have a multiplier setting. I've never seen a motherboard that doesn't, and I don't know how it couldn't. If you can't find what yours is set to, you should first check the manual. If you don't have a manual, the intarweb will :P

I think updating the bios is a bad idea. I find it very hard to believe that your board shipped with such an old bios version that it doesn't have a multi setting. It's there, it has to be :) I would only update your bios after you get a hold of a manual and figure out what's going on a bit more. Updating bios is a hassle that you don't need, and may not be ready for.

When you DO get to the multi setting, don't just jump it straight up to where you think it should be. Move it up one step at a time and make sure things are still working. Treat it like you're overclocking, even though you're not. If for some reason your chip can't handle the higher settings, you could give yourself a lot more problems.

I hope this helps, and post back with your progress.

###EDIT

After a bit more reading, I think your multi setting is fine. My bet is that your multi is set to 13 and your mem speed is set to "safe mode" 100mhz, and that's why you're getting 1.3ghz. Sometimes if your board senses a problem it'll clock the mem speed to the lowest possible. It does this because if it can't identify the cpu speed automatically, it has to run the lowest possible settings to be sure they're safe.

As far as the 3000+ Socket A Athlon XP, there are two flavors, and your speed is too low no matter which you have...

the 333FSB Version runs stock at 166 mem and 13 multi

the 400FSB Version runs stock at 200 mem and 10.5 multi

Your motherboard SHOULD have a multiplier setting.  I've never seen a motherboard that doesn't, and I don't know how it couldn't.  If you can't find what yours is set to, you should first check the manual.  If you don't have a manual, the intarweb will :P

I think updating the bios is a bad idea.  I find it very hard to believe that your board shipped with such an old bios version that it doesn't have a multi setting.  It's there, it has to be :) 

I hope this helps, and post back with your progress.

###EDIT

After a bit more reading, I think your multi setting is fine.  My bet is that your multi is set to 13 and your mem speed is set to "safe mode" 100mhz, and that's why you're getting 1.3ghz.  Sometimes if your board senses a problem it'll clock the mem speed to the lowest possible.  It does this because if it can't identify the cpu speed automatically, it has to run the lowest possible settings to be sure they're safe.

525760[/snapback]

again the edited post was my origional idea, but back at that time i didnt have the time to look up multiplier settign son the chips so i didnt post then. As for the gigabyte board lacking multi settings, it's prob in the advanced features settings whihc gigabyte hides from you until you press ctrl + F1 while at the main bois screen.

Back to the Asus board, make sure the multi is at 13, and the FSB is at 133, save it, exit, (pray if that sort of thing works for you), cross your fingers, and hope it shows full speed :D

again the edited post was my origional idea, but back at that time i didnt have the time to look up multiplier settign son the chips so i didnt post then.  As for the gigabyte board lacking multi settings, it's prob in the advanced features settings whihc gigabyte hides from you until you press ctrl + F1 while at the main bois screen.

Back to the Asus board, make sure the multi is at 13, and the FSB is at 133, save it, exit, (pray if that sort of thing works for you), cross your fingers, and hope it shows full speed :D

525782[/snapback]

Please tell me you didnt just tell him to run his memory and fsb at 266...... :P

Press Del to get into Bios

Advanced -> Advanced Chipset Features -> (Both the Multiplier and Memory Frequency are in this category)

- For the Multiplier -

Goto CPU Frequency Multiple Setting -> Goto Menu -> Press Enter -> Go Down to CPU Frequency Multiple -> Press Enter -> Change to 13.

- For the Memory Frequency -

Goto CPU External Frequency -> Press Enter -> Goto 166 -> Press Enter.

Then Esc and save changes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the scenario if you have the AMD Athlon XP 3000+ w/ 333 FSB.

If u have the XP 3000 w/400 FSB just read the post by verran and switch the numbers in the multiplier and cpu external frequency to what he stated they are.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: just to make it easier to read

It helps alot if you have the board in question. :)

Edited by DTA

Advanced -> Advanced Chipset Features -> (Both the Multiplier and Memory Frequency are in this category)

- For the Multiplier -

Goto CPU Frequency Multiple Setting -> Goto Menu -> Press Enter -> Go Down to CPU Frequency Multiple -> Press Enter -> Change to 13.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If u have the XP 3000 w/400 FSB just read the post by verran and switch the numbers in the multiplier and cpu external frequency to what he stated they are.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I went into the BIOS and set the multiplier at 13 and the fsb at 166, also 'Memory Frequency' to 'By SPD' so now it's showing on the post screen as 1733mhz., an improvement but still not as fast as it should be. I mean it's a more expensive chip than my 2800+ and a higher number so, even if the difference is only incremental, it should still run just over 2ghz., yes? There's another setting there, 'FSB Spread Spectrum' and it's at 1.00%. So even though it's better it's still not fast enough yet :( . Any other suggestions? The Asus board was purchased after the chip and should be able to handle this.

And, no, my Gigabyte board doesn't have a multiplier setting in Advanced Chipset Features and the guy I bought it from told me it doesn't. Oh well, at least it's running up to speed.

Thinking about trying the 3000+ on my Gigabyte board, maybe. I just need a CPU that runs fast enough to capture video at .mpeg. Maybe I'll try a Pentium next time.

cactusgal

- For the Multiplier -

Okay, I went into the BIOS and set the multiplier at 13 and the fsb at 166, also 'Memory Frequency' to 'By SPD' so now it's showing on the post screen as 1733mhz., an improvement but still not as fast as it should be. I mean it's a more expensive chip than my 2800+ and a higher number so, even if the difference is only incremental, it should still run just over 2ghz., yes? There's another setting there, 'FSB Spread Spectrum' and it's at 1.00%. So even though it's better it's still not fast enough yet :( . Any other suggestions? The Asus board was purchased after the chip and should be able to handle this.

And, no, my Gigabyte board doesn't have a multiplier setting in Advanced Chipset Features and the guy I bought it from told me it doesn't. Oh well, at least it's running up to speed.

Thinking about trying the 3000+ on my Gigabyte board, maybe. I just need a CPU that runs fast enough to capture video at .mpeg. Maybe I'll try a Pentium next time.

cactusgal

526184[/snapback]

Are you sure your memory FSB is set to 166? You're getting 1733mhz, which is exactly what you would get if you set the memory to 133 and the multi to 13. It's also very close to what you would get if your multi was actually set to 10.5 and your memory to 166. Have you gone back in and made sure the settings are how you want them after reboot?

Try downloading CPU-Z and see what kind of chip it says you have. It will also tell you what your FSB and multi are really running at.