Should I Sell My 4000+ A64 For A 4800x2

problem is name 10 multithreaded apps. now name 2 that you run more often than say UT2004. infact name a single multithreaded app that you have on your computer.

and anyone that says "I can fold and game at the same time" has no clue. I've been doing that on many rigs since I started folding. did it with an 3200+, did it with an FX-51, did it with an opteron (not a dual either), even forced to do it with an XP2400 for a while. Currently I'm trying to fold on rigs that are not only running 100% cpu load nearly 24x7, but are actually capable of pounding X2's, dual Xeons, dual Opterons, and HT P4's at 100% for ALL cores. so they eek out a WU when ever possible.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all in all for those buying dual cores, its not really meant for games since most games only support 1 core and there will not be a significant improvement compared to other processors but if you play it on a fx-57 there WILL be a big improvement. dual cores are only best for cad and photoshopping and other intensive apps. imo right now dual cores are not worth buying if you DONT know what you are doing. please close this topic :lol: and have bigred make a sticky on do's and don'ts between dual cores and the fx 55/57.

Wait a sec, BigRed I wanted to know about Intel as well since u have best of both worlds, What did the Intel smoke AMD on?? I know there's gotta be disappointment in one department.

intel still holds a mild lead in mpeg and mp3 encoding / decoding.

but that's putting a dual 3.6ghz EM64T Xeon against a dual opteorn 250 (roughly even $$$'s either way) gave the Xeon a huge lead

putting those same xeons up against a pair of 875's (dual core) it was close, but the Xeons were 1/5th the price.

That Hardly made Sense at all.

X2 = Not for Gamers

FX57 = Gamers

519541[/snapback]

Didn't say that they were for the best gaming preformance just said they can play games as good as singal core.

but the fx series works better then x2 in games.

Edited by fire_storm

basically im one of the few ppl here that DOES run multithreaded apps wiht my job. Im using an intel for that atm, but to tell you the truth, I dont see a real need for a dual core in any PC unless its primary function is to sit aroud and encode stuff all day...(this does not apply to servers of course :D)

Didn't say that they were for the best gaming preformance just said they can play games as good as singal core.

but the fx series works better then x2 in games.

519933[/snapback]

FOR THE LAST FRIGGIN TIME! IN APPS THAT DO NOT SUPPORT MULTIPLE CORES THE X2 AND ALL OTHER DUAL CORE / HYPER THREADED CPUS ARE 100% IDENTICAL TO THIER SINGLE CORE COUNTERPART!!!!!!

infact toledo isn't really a new core at all, it shouldn't even be classified as such. the 4200+ and 4600+ are a pair of venice cores on one die, and the 4400+ and 4800+ are a pair of san diego cores on one die... then again san diego shouldn't even be classified as a new core. it's nothing more than an additional 512k added onto the venice core.

now does that make sense WHY the X2 behaves just like a single core chip of the same speed in games? or do I need to use a bigger font for that part too?

just to fire up another little thing.

If a company decided to make a game that would run multithreaded so it could take advantage of dual cores and dual processor machine would it also work on a single core and single processor machines or would there have to be like an option to switch it off or what?

i hope that question made sense, cos i'd sure like to know the answer.