I Want To Learn To Program

Guest Flashstar

Did you backtalk a bobby this morning again, markie?

515001[/snapback]

Say what?!?!

Since when did you become such a programming nazi KB?  Your parents may have to get you a new hat collection because your head seems to be getting bigger.

And as far as Java, I think you're right, but for the wrong reasons.  What does using classes have to do with less power?  That just doesn't make any sense.

515008[/snapback]

He never said classes mean less power. He said it differs greatly in that it's all based around classes and that you get less power in general.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He never said classes mean less power. He said it differs greatly in that it's all based around classes and that you get less power in general.

515012[/snapback]

Well that I would agree with, but I still don't see the problem with starting at VB. I started out teaching myself basic from a book way back in the day. Then in high school, they started by teaching VB6, then the next term we went on to C++. I thought that was perfect because VB makes it easy to learn theory (like loops, variable types, global/private) without getting tied up in syntax memorization.

Some people say VB teaches bad habits, and I would agree, but it's not like it's some sort of irreparable damage done to a young coder's mind. I would prefer that to throwing them straight into the deep end where they have to learn complicated syntax and theory all at once.

Well that I would agree with, but I still don't see the problem with starting at VB.  I started out teaching myself basic from a book way back in the day.  Then in high school, they started by teaching VB6, then the next term we went on to C++.  I thought that was perfect because VB makes it easy to learn theory (like loops, variable types, global/private) without getting tied up in syntax memorization. 

Some people say VB teaches bad habits, and I would agree, but it's not like it's some sort of irreparable damage done to a young coder's mind.  I would prefer that to throwing them straight into the deep end where they have to learn complicated syntax and theory all at once.

515020[/snapback]

I don't know. I would hardly call the following complicated syntax..

while (condition) {

}

or....

if (condition) {

}

or....

do {

} while (condition);

int variable_name;

For loops are a little stranger perhaps, but still with the right resources I don't actually think it'd be any harder.

I have an idea! Lets just keep mincing words back and forth all day! Yay!

Yes I know that there are parts of C that are easy, and yes I know that most of it is easy with proper training. I coded in C for a year in high school and five years in college, you don't have to sell me on it.

But how long do you think a newbie is going to stare at

if (a = b)
statement;

before he figures out that he needs another '=' in there.

Overall, I thought that the GUI of VB offered a much more "sandbox-y" feeling than a blank text document. Not to mention that the debugging is infinitely easier to do in VB.

I think in most cases people just think it's "cool" to rip on VB because it's not a very powerful language and because it's not as "l337" as coding in C or CPP, but as a learning tool, I think it's very useful. If I had to start out all over again and learn a language all on my own, I know I'd want to start with VB.

I have an idea!  Lets just keep mincing words back and forth all day!  Yay!

Yes I know that there are parts of C that are easy, and yes I know that most of it is easy with proper training.  I coded in C for a year in high school and five years in college, you don't have to sell me on it.

I must say I have no idea where that one came from. I'm not "selling you on it". I'm offering my view to the thread....

But how long do you think a newbie is going to stare at

if (a = b)
statement;

before he figures out that he needs another '=' in there.

Mistakes like that will happen with any language. With the correct resources (books, a teacher, whatever) I dont think that should be a problem, because they should know that = is for assignment and == is for comparison.

I must say I have no idea where that one came from. I'm not "selling you on it". I'm offering my view to the thread....

515043[/snapback]

Eh, I just mean that the three of us are just going back and forth, and not really getting anywhere.

As far as "selling", I mean that I know pretty much all the pro's and con's to c and c++, they're easily my favorite languages without exception. You qouted some of the best examples of how easy they can be, but I also think there are a lot of cases where they can be very tough. And although I agree with all your points, I still don't think they outweight the ability have a GUI that lays all your tools out right in front of you. Not to mention how much easier it is for a beginner to debug in VB.

Well, int is easy.

But, it's those danged chars...

char daCharacter;

Do you why I bash on VB6? Several reasons.

1. It has a slow execution time and the structure is much much different.

2. You have much less power.

3. Wait wait wait, you're saying that all non-VB programmers look at is a blank text document? Wow...

ide.jpg

DOWN WITH JAVA........ I took a Java class and the teacher knew how to program in every language but JAVA so he was learning with us. (but he is a good programmer and has been doing soo since you punched holes in paper to make the programs...). I learned enough to realize that He is gay and that JAVA is on the way out. Some of its ideas are great like cross platform but C has more power and makes more sense to me.

BLAH BLAH BLAH POLYMORPHISM BLAH BLAH BLAH CLASSES BLAH BLAH BLAH INHERITANCE BLAH BLAH BLAH

they're all very necessary things to learn the first day :)

i started with C++ and i never had a problem.

Edited by airman