Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flashstar

I Want To Learn To Program

Aye, I have this mental block... it's like there's a god out there that dosn't want me to learn Polymorphism...

Why do you not wish me to expand my skills, oh markie?

Ohhh KB..... sometimes it really shows that you're 9 years old....

Well, int is easy.

But, it's those danged chars...

char daCharacter;

515066[/snapback]

I never said that char declaration was hard. All you're doing is showing how immature and off topic you are by posting this.

However, two can play your game.... which is easier for a LEARNER?:

for i=1 to 10

or:

for(i=1;i<11;i++)

One is almost like a written sentence to the compiler, another is something you would never figure out without help.

Do you why I bash on VB6? Several reasons.

1. It has a slow execution time and the structure is much much different.

2. You have much less power.

515066[/snapback]

Both of these are true. Both of these I have ALREADY agreed with, and will agree with AGAIN. And both of these have NOTHING to do with someone who is trying to learn to code. No one is asking what language is the best to code in, they're asking what is the best to LEARN in. Again, a more mature mind might be better suited to stay ON TOPIC once in a while. And your real reason #3 should be:

3.  Because markie taught me some things about C, which is so flippin' obviously better than VB, so I'm going to get up on my soapbox and act like I'm the only person in the whole world who knows something about code.

But instead, your #3 was actually

3. Wait wait wait, you're saying that all non-VB programmers look at is a blank text document? Wow...

Which YET AGAIN completely missed the entire point. Yes KB, thanks for showing me a pic of DevC++, a program that I have been using probably since you were born. Yes, it is not a blank text document. Wow, I feel so schooled..... oooh, the burn.

If, for one second, you could concentrate on the topic at hand, rather than trying to show us all how knowledgable you are, you would understand the point I was making.

VB has a tool palette of all of the different code pieces you can use. Looking for a new thing to learn? Click one of the buttons on the toolbar. Labels, textboxes, command buttons, frames, radial buttons. All there for you to visually see and choose from, making learning very simple.

Dev, or really any C++ compiler, does not have this. I said blank text file because I did most of my coding in just that when I was in college. I coded using vi, compiling in solaris with nothing more than gcc -wall. So yes, Dev is a step up from that, but as far as toolbars like VB, it still has none.

Well there you have it, I think I addressed every single off topic comment you made, but I'm sure you've got some more just raring to go... I'm starting to understand why people don't seem to get along with you too well now though. You get a half a taste of some code on your tongue and all of a sudden you're shooting off at the mouth like you're hot s.... meanwhile you can't even do the thread the courtesy of staying on the topic at hand.

Ah, the n00b takes the bait...

EDIT: Amazing how even if I am only 9 years old (5 years off there mate), you assume I was just born this morning:

EDIT:

I installed DevCPP, couldn't help it tongue.gif

Ah, the n00b takes the bait...

EDIT: Amazing how even if I am only 9 years old (5 years off there mate), you assume I was just born this morning:

515212[/snapback]

<sigh>

All those points I made, and you go for that one....

Yes I just installed DevCPP last night. Wow, yet another pro-style burn from a child... I guess I should mention that I just recently formatted and had not reinstalled Dev yet because I'm not in school anymore and don't code that often. God you are stupid. But that's fine, of all the points I made, you picked that one to respond to and no others. That's the easiest one to talk at without actually saying anything. Just call me a liar, like I feel threatened that a 14 year kid thinks I just started using DevCPP. I've been using Dev since my first year of college (you know, the school after the school after the school you're currently in?)

But gee, really good trap setting skills there MacGyver (not that you're old enough to get that reference), I guess I'm the "n00b" that took your bait, you evil genius, too bad I readily admit that I just installed it on THIS installation of XP. Got any other amazing zingers for us, your majesty? Or are you ready to get back on TOPIC? Man, you are one cocky little bastard.... I guess you're all recovered from that heartbreaker who was ten years your senior and shattered your heart so bad you had to quit coding.....

lol KB treats markie...with an odd type of attention...if i was markie i'd be tired of it =P

anyways...TO HELP THE PERSON THAT STARTED THE THREAD:

start with C++. it's EASY.

i dont care wut anyone says, c and c++ kick arse and are definately easy:P

<sigh>

All those points I made, and you go for that one....

Yes I just installed DevCPP last night.  Wow, yet another pro-style burn from a child...  I guess I should mention that I just recently formatted and had not reinstalled Dev yet because I'm not in school anymore and don't code that often.  God you are stupid.  But that's fine, of all the points I made, you picked that one to respond to and no others.  That's the easiest one to talk at without actually saying anything.  Just call me a liar, like I feel threatened that a 14 year kid thinks I just started using DevCPP.  I've been using Dev since my first year of college (you know, the school after the school after the school you're currently in?) 

But gee, really good trap setting skills there MacGyver (not that you're old enough to get that reference), I guess I'm the "n00b" that took your bait, you evil genius, too bad I readily admit that I just installed it on THIS installation of XP.  Got any other amazing zingers for us, your majesty?  Or are you ready to get back on TOPIC?  Man, you are one cocky little bastard....  I guess you're all recovered from that heartbreaker who was ten years your senior and shattered your heart so bad you had to quit coding.....

515223[/snapback]

No, at that moment I was tired.

I appologize for not keeping tabs on your life.

Thank you.

You implied that you did byyour post.

Yes, I do know what college is.

Thank you, but I'm not quite at that skill level yet.

Thank you for flattering me with the evil genius comment.

Yes, I am. Unlike most other people, I can get over something faster than others.

And, I appologize for acting immaturely. Like I said, I was rather tired staying up and waiting for someone.

ONTOPIC:

Airman probably said the best thing so far without causing any fights or anything, as that's how I got into programming really.

And, good job attacking the for loop, one lesser used among n00bs. However, you do have a point, as Visual Basic is easier to learn than some aspects of C or C++.

And, good job attacking the for loop, one lesser used among n00bs. However, you do have a point, as Visual Basic is easier to learn than some aspects of C or C++.

I was going to ask if he was asking which was easier to initially understand without any learning aids at all, or which was actually easier to "learn".

But then I figured... what on earth would be the point in asking which would be easier to initially understand without any learning aids? What are you doing trying to learn something just by looking at it?

Now, with the above in mind, supposing you have equally good documentation at hand for both languages to learn from (a good book perhaps, ideally written in the same fashion for both languages?), they should both be equally as easy to learn and understand - providing you can read.

Is my point not a valid one? Because I have mentioned it a couple of times already and it seems to have been ignored?

I figured I am probably going to get flamed by someone for saying that.....

Actually, never mind. I missed some stuff on the last page and apparently the point was already agreed on.

I'm not sure about debugging with VB. Dev-CPP debugger thing is a bit dodgy sometimes (doesn't seem to do what it's told?) I can say that much.

And he's right. There's no drag drop controls on to a form. So if that's important to you then, well, VB or Delphi is probably more what you want I suppose.

I think that was all the input I have to offer here, so maybe I will shut up now.

I'll just lay down my bottom lines I guess:

Is C++ hard? No.

Is C++ my favorite language to code in without exception? Yes.

Is VB's syntax easier (in general) than C++? I definately think so.

Do I believe it is easier to learn one topic at a time? Definately.

Would I prefer to learn coding theory, THEN work on memorizing syntax patterns? Yes.

Do I think that is an effective way to learn? Yes.

Do I think that most people rip on VB solely to make themselves feel better about knowing C? Yes.

Having said that, I really don't see how this topic could derail any further than it already has, so maybe we should all just agree to disagree.

Is my point not a valid one? Because I have mentioned it a couple of times already and it seems to have been ignored?

I figured I am probably going to get flamed by someone for saying that.....

515314[/snapback]

If you have a good book, either should be relatively straight forward to learn. But it still comes down to which is easier, and I think basic is easier to learn. That's all. I would rather learn theory, then syntax.

Markie, it's a greatly advanced debate strategy. You ignore your opponents good arguments and go on with yours.

You have some some pair of balls. That is EXACTLY what you did when you accused me of lying about using DevCPP.