Way Too Easy

flareback

Just got a computer from my pastor that he wants me to take a look at and try to make it faster (said it has lots of popups). Anyways. didn't tell me that it had a password. Well a quick google search found a couple programs but i didn't feel like messing with that so then i find that if you type administrator as the user name and no password it usually gets you in (unless they've actually botherd to set a password). and it did work by the way.

Thats just way to easy and not many people will bother to set a password if you ask me.

Edited by flareback

Yup, this is one of the most easy and overlooked security vulnerabilities with most XP computers.

In case anyone need it here's how set a password for admin. Just boot into safe mode, log into administrator, and set a password like you normaly would.

Thats old :P Alternatly you can use a winxp boot disk, go into console mode(something about press r to repair using console mode), and type "login" at the prompt. It will tell you the current admin pass :D . Windows is funny :lol:

lol, and your just now finding this out? :P

512179[/snapback]

thats what im thinking too :lol: ive used this for years and its worked great

and its not just xp computers, it works with everything including 95

lol, and your just now finding this out? :P

512179[/snapback]

Yeah I've been using that for a long time, its just logging into the hidden administrator account. Although its not really too hidden since it shows up when you go into safe mode.

If you hit escape, or the CTRL-ALT-DELETE or somthingrather, before you log into regular windows, you can get the prompt too, but I can't remember what the command is. I've used it to get into my computer and not load the millions of things I load normally.