Fileserver

galla2k4eva

I'm looking to build a fileserver/webserver but it has to be cheap. I think I can get all the hardware myself but as I say everything has to be cheap so I dont want to have to buy Windows again, but I havent used linux much and wouldnt know where to start getting it connected to my WinXP Home rig through a direct network connection. Is it possible? is it easy? I can install apache+PHP on Windows is it a lot more different on Linux? Which Linux Distro Should I Use? So many questions help me please. :(

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's going to be different from Windows. How much depends on.... a few things. You can compile Apache and PHP from source, which is totally different. It's a series of DOS style commands, usually something along the lines of

./configure

make

make install

or, depending on the 'distro' you can use packages. The most popular being RPM's ... which are well known for their 'dependancy hell'.

You're probably going to have to read and learn really :)

For filesharing, as in... "Windows Shares" style, you'll want Samba. There are graphical style configuration utilities for that (SWAT is the only one I know, but I am sure there are more)... otherwise that's a case of editing a configuration file.

There isn't really a "best", any distro is capable of doing it all :P

I thought Slackware was one of the better ones. That was a while ago though. It forced me to learn stuff, unlike .. redhat... and mandrake.. and whatever else.

I prefer Fedora (predecessor to Redhat). Samba config files are easy to edit; you should be able to setup a quick fileserver without any needed editing. Make sure you setup a username/password on the Linux box in order for Window systems to access Linux shares.

Okay seems pretty simple, just gotta decide on a distro and build the system.

I've only go knoppix so I'll have to download the isos for a distro, slackware seems to be best in this situation (2 disks) as I only have 1mb broadband.

Time to partition my hard drive eh? :P

"only" 1mb :) I've got 512k lol I can't get any more than that because where I live.

FreeBSD mini install is only ~200MB ;) *you are tempted* :lol: That leaves you setting up pretty much everything from scratch though.. s'what I use.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMA...86-miniinst.iso

or there's a "fuller" install with KDE or Gnome, your choice.. ~600MB each.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMA...disc1-gnome.iso

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMA...6-disc1-kde.iso

Okay I'm downloading that instead, better be good :P

Good server getting 200kb/s, god I'm glad theres only a few people in my street using the cable.

Will things be much different to linux, its unix based right? Do Apache, PHP and Samba work on it?

lol well, I love it. Definately prefer it over Linux for servery stuff.

Things are a little different. Not too much. I made the move from Slackware to FreeBSD inside a day or two (mainly installing stuff and setting it up again).

If Apache, PHP and Samba didn't work on it, well, I would be very screwed :) Yes, they do. Along with most other things that you find for Linux. It has "Linux emulation" if you ever need to run binaries compiled on Linux too, providing the program doesn't use too many "linuxisms" or kernel modules or what not.