How Annoying

I was trying to process a check this evening and the ePOS software locked up. Of course there where customers waiting. It also froze for a club card inquiry.

I had two instances similar to this yesterday. One of them was the pay at the pump going down. The line was 13 people long. :ph34r:

This is stupid.

I take the blame of course. I felt like asking one lady who gave my crap if she thought I liked having my system crap out on me everyday.

Am I the only one who thinks two critical system failures a day is a very bad track record?

Whoever designed / programed this has a fair amount to answer for.

The management will not let me bring in a punching bag. I can't figure out why. It might help my hostility problem.

Rant complete.

So has was your day?

What's bad is that unSafeway is figuring that about 730 system crashes per store per year is OK for some reason...

Of course, if you've seen what the back-end of those systems looks like, you would generally be surprised that there aren't more (and yes, I speak from experience).

Form what I have seen the backend is pretty scarry. It takes 4 computers (that I know of) to run the pumps. The two comps I use are P4s, 2.0 & 2.8 ghz. Between them, i'd say there are at least 10 programs running just to deal with sales.

I think our checkstands in the store are cirx 133s. They almost never go down.

why are POS systems always a big argument? CBW had it's own in house written POS (in both ways) system called keystroke. here we are trying to sell this stupid azzed thing and it goes down at least 3 times a day in the stores! that led to some pretty nasty arguments in meetings :(

i work at target and back during christmas time on an extremely busy day, I was working in electronics and we had both of our registers out because of software problems, oh god were there some pissed people, luckily we had all registers open up front.

we had that kinda thing happen back in the days of compusa. both registers went down at the customer service desk durring the anniversery sale. I got written up for subbing one of them out for a register that was sitting in the back not even hooked to the network. corp IT saw the change of register hardware ID and went nuts.