Apple To Use Intel? Macs On X86?

Becasue Apple wants to control all what their stuff will run on. The feel that third party hardware would hurt them. I highly suspect that Apple software will still only run on apple computers, even after the switch to common intel CPUs is made. In all likelyhood they will only certify very specific hardware and only realse very specific drivers. They will probably only allow thier OSes to work with propritary Apple BIOSes. Of course someone will find away around this eventually, but I doubt it will really be a big deal.

Anyway, it's now offical, depite all my doubts. Apple is moving to Intel x86 processors starting in 2006.

Their main reason is performance per watt, wich is so ironic it's not even funny.

Edited by oralpain

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to seeing Linus Trovalds reaction to all of this. I read his book and he was talking about when Apple started their OSX project they went to the Linux Kernel orignally before they setteled on Unix. Hes so close yet so far away from both companies but without a doubt hes going to be greatly effected by it along with the future of Linux.

Edited by BloodySunday

I really dont like Jobs decision to move to Intel, he should've stayed with IBM - now macs are only going to slowly take over PCs

490306[/snapback]

Um...ok...where do you get that info from? Cause they are "cool lookin'"?

idk apples are for........different people. they put them in movies because they want to be...different. lol idk y they do that in movies, because lian-li does kick the #$%^ out of apples cases.

Too tired to look up the original quote again, but IIRC, they said that the x86 MAC will only run on a specific Intel chip (or mobo component), and you won't be able to use just anything available now. In the current machines, the MAC requires specific chips/ICs in order for it to work, and it looks like they're going to do the same thing here. There will still be a huge division between the MAC/PC crowds since the majority of core hardware will be incompatible between the two.

I smell some sodering to force OS X to run on normal computers.

I want OS X to run on my PC, mostly because it is a kind of a beta of Longhorn (hopefully without all the piracy restrictions and other nonsense). I have used apples at school before and that alt-tab--excuse me, I mean "apple key"-tab--is really cool. The operating itself is so much nicer then Windows XP.

I smell some sodering to force OS X to run on normal computers.

I doubt any amount of soldering will make the x86 MAC OS work with non apple aprroved chipsets. Even If you have stuff that is really close to what apple would be using. you would probably have to flash all the BIOSes to the apple versions.

I doubt any amount of soldering will make the x86 MAC OS work with non apple aprroved chipsets. Even If you have stuff that is really close to what apple would be using. you would probably have to flash all the BIOSes to the apple versions.

492320[/snapback]

I dunno - I think in the near future I see mod chips for x86Apple for sale right next to the XBox and PS2 versions...