New Linux Distro

RimX

I know there are a few topics like this and i think I've bosted a few myself...But I 'm looking for a new distro...I tryed Slackware and loved it but its time for me to try a new distro...I just tried gentoo and freebsd and wasnt all that pleased with them...So what else can I try...I've used Mandrake and Redhat/fedora and never wish to use them again. Also tried Xandros. I really juust like trying different OS's i guess

If you like it then.. stick with it and USE it to do WORK (Ha... work..... yeah right... no thanks!)

I hear some good things about debian, but then I hear it's quite outdated as they believe outdated = stable (no).

You could always try pc-bsd for me and tell me what it's like! http://www.pcbsd.org

Im also in search of a good distro. Its very hard finding one with support for my ati card and dual monitors.

You could give suse a try. I downloaded the iso but havent had a chance to try it yet. After that you have tried all the major distros.

well...I the problem I had with it was that I dont think i did a very good job at installing it and I think I did something wrong so when i finally booted it up all I could do was basically console only stuff...from what I understand though it is a very good system

lol, no.. it just doesn't automatically install X like Linux distos do. It's not Linux either :rolleyes:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1...book/index.html

Would have probably helped you out, especially the "X Window System" chapter.

PCBSD is actually based on FreeBSD, but with a pretty installer and it DOES install X by default, so you don't have to install it yourself. Since it's based on FreeBSD, if you continue to use it, the handbook may still come in useful :)

yea that is where I normally get my iso's but I was more looking for some recomendations/sugestions like what Markiemrboo gave me...thanks anyways....alright...well I just finished installing PSBSD...the install was extremely simple. basically select hdd and partition or tell it to use the whole drive and then next and it formats and starts to install...simple...there wasnt any install options. and it couldnt have taken much more than 15 min to install...I'm wondering...can I use linux apps on it? like firefox and stuff? or do i have to find BSD versions for it

Most Linux application are available as precompile packages for the BSDs, if they're not... compiling from source usually works unless there's alot alot of Linuxisms going on :P EDIT: and if you can't compile from source, perhaps you just dont want to or.. it doesn't compile right, if there's a linux package available FreeBSD has Linux emulation! http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1...k/linuxemu.html

Just to tell you how well that Linux emulation works (not really emulation), I once accidently installed the linux version of X on my server (for VNC), I ran it for about 3 months before I actually realised I was using the Linux package, couldn't tell the difference!

PCBSD is working on their own graphical package management system. Not a lot is available for that yet, by the looks of it, but FireFox is there at http://www.pcbsd.org/packages/web.html Give that a try and tell me what it's like :) I suppose you just download the package from that link and 'double click'?

Since there's not much available for that yet, I will point you at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1...book/ports.html which explains how FreeBSD's package management system (ports and packages) works and how to use it.

In short though, here's how to use ports:

• Grab the latest ports 'tree', looks like on PCBSD it should be a case of typing `cvsup -g -L2 /root/ports-supfile`
  • When that finishes you should have lots of stuff at /usr/ports.
  • I would recommend then installing the portinstall / portupgrade utilities, which can be found at /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade. Installing this should be as simple as cd'ing to that directory and then typing `make install clean`. This will download the source tarball AND ANY DEPENDANCIES!!!, unpack it, configure it, compile it, install it and, finally, clean up.... all automatically (neat huh?).
  • Once that is installed, suppose you want to install... firefox, should be as simple as typing `portinstall firefox`. Samba? `portinstall samba`. You get the idea..
  • The ports tree always changes, updates to applications. To get the latest tree, just run the cvsup command again! After that, you can find out what needs to be updated by running `portversion -v | grep "needs"`. If you want to upgrade any applications from that list, suppose samba has been updated you would run `portupgrade samba`

I don't know how well ports is supported with PCBSD. Hopefully it'll be as good as it is on FreeBSD and you'll fall in love with it (as I did) :)

In short though, here's how to use ports:

•  
  • Grab the latest ports 'tree', looks like on PCBSD it should be a case of typing `cvsup -g -L2 /root/ports-supfile`

• When that finishes you should have lots of stuff at /usr/ports.

• I would recommend then installing the portinstall / portupgrade utilities, which can be found at /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade. Installing this should be as simple as cd'ing to that directory and then typing `make install clean`. This will download the source tarball AND ANY DEPENDANCIES!!!, unpack it, configure it, compile it, install it and, finally, clean up.... all automatically (neat huh?).

• Once that is installed, suppose you want to install... firefox, should be as simple as typing `portinstall firefox`. Samba? `portinstall samba`. You get the idea..

• The ports tree always changes, updates to applications. To get the latest tree, just run the cvsup command again! After that, you can find out what needs to be updated by running `portversion -v | grep "needs"`. If you want to upgrade any applications from that list, suppose samba has been updated you would run `portupgrade samba`

I don't know how well ports is supported with PCBSD. Hopefully it'll be as good as it is on FreeBSD and you'll fall in love with it (as I did) :)

474943[/snapback]

Sounds a lot like Gentoo's portage to me :)