Zonealarm & Avg

xPETEZx

Hi!

I am running latest versions of ZoneAlarm & AVG.

My problem is, ZoneAlarm wont recognise AVG as a AntiVirus program under the Anti Virus monitoring section.

Is there any way I can fiX this??

Also, whenver my PC boots up, it starts AVG before ZoneAlarm, and AVG usaly starts to Download updates, but then asoon as ZoneAlarm starts, it blocks AVG from Dling the updates EVEN tho AVG has full access to the internet under the ZoneAlarm settings.

Anyway I can fiX this too?

Thanks alot!

I am running Windows XP home btw.

AVG is not recognized by many programs. Avast!, however, is. I cannot tell you how many computers I get in the shop with AVG on them and 100's of viruses. I would suggest Avast! if you have to go with a free version.

I hav been told by many ppl that AVG is the best free Anti-Virus.

2 of my mates use Avast, and for them, its been nothing but trouble. I dont kno if thats just them tho :lol:

But if ppl here recon Avast is best, mayb I should look into it...

People must remmeber that most anti virus programs work great, its just that the user doesn't know how to use it correctly, doesn't allow it to update, Still uses IE, or is just plain dumb.

I love AVG no problems with it.

I have never been happy with any free AV software. Here is my suggestion: Spend $40 bucks on Panda Titanium 2005 and remove both avg and zonealarm. End of problem lol.

Not commenting on which AV app to use (I don't use any), what you need to do with zone alarm is to change the application setting for the AVG update app to allow full internet access and to not ask you about it again.

I'm not at a point where I can check ZA, but when it's looking for an AV app, doesn't it give you the opportunity to browse to the exe name (and possibly specify command line options)?

Can't you just add any AVG processes/services to the allow list in Zone Alarm even though it does not recognize it as Anti-Virus software?

You could always just get rid of Zone Alarm, in my experience Windows Firewall (SP2) and the Beta version of Microsoft anti-spyware have kept me secure.

You could always just get rid of Zone Alarm, in my experience Windows Firewall (SP2) and the Beta version of Microsoft anti-spyware have kept me secure.

472779[/snapback]

in your experiance? How could anyone with experiance suggest Windows Firewall to be good? lol If windows firewall and MS Anti-Spyware are the only security your system has then you are leaving open a window for destruction haha. :P

in your experiance? How could anyone with experiance suggest Windows Firewall to be good? lol If windows firewall and MS Anti-Spyware are the only security your system has then you are leaving open a window for destruction haha. :P

472780[/snapback]

Of course I have a hardware firewall and Norton Corporate 9.0, I was just referring to a replacement for Zone Alarm software firewall.

Never had a virus or trojan get past my defenses! mycoolweb almost did but MS Anti-Spyware removed it in safe mode after one pass. :D

Besides if you know how to configure firewalls Windows Firewall does the same thing as Zone Alarm as far as Stealth ports and ICMP echo requests just not be default. Zone Alarm just looks prettier and has more bells and whistles.

I use AVG and ZAP (ZoneAlarm Pro) and I've never had a problem. Why do you want ZA to monitor your antivirus anyways? Just do it yourself. I can't help with the no updates problem. Better reformat... :lol: jk

Never had a virus or trojan get past my defenses! mycoolweb almost did but MS Anti-Spyware removed it in safe mode after one pass.  :D 

472789[/snapback]

You idiot. MS anti-spyware... not anti-virus! It didn't stop any viruses. :angry2:

Besides if you know how to configure firewalls Windows Firewall does the same thing as Zone Alarm as far as Stealth ports and ICMP echo requests just not be default. Zone Alarm just looks prettier and has more bells and whistles.

472789[/snapback]

No. MS's worthless "firewall" (as some choose to call it) will NEVER be as good as ZA or any other firewall. It does nothing! it's worthless crap designed to lull people into a false sense of security. Stealthing ports? woohoo! There's an accomplishment. You don't even need a firewall to do that. What? Ignoring pings?!?! wow!!! <_<

Thanks for all the Replies ppl!!

I would GLADLY pay for a AntiVirus software, BUT, what I HATE is, that once you do, you gotta pay AGAIN like 6 months down the road.

I HAVE set ZA to give AVG FULL access to the Internet!

Its just that once ZA starts, AVG has already started DLing its update, and I think that ZA stops all internet access for like 1 second while it checks its allowed list, then allows it as normal, however, this frezzes the AVG download. :(

Is there any way I could set the order in which my startup programs start? So that I could have like ZA start BEFORE AVG?

Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...

I would recommend using Avast. I have used AVG and Avast for some time now. I think Avast is the better choice, GUI looks better, and the updates seem to run more silently than AVG. AVG tends to let you know it has finished updating by popping up annoying screens and overriding the screen you were currently working on. Haven't had a problem or complaint with Avast yet!