Finished Graphics Card

Well, I finished my final graphics card mod before I vmod it. I literally have the biggest heatsink possible on it...had to trim,notch it just to get it close ti fitting. Its a thermaltake socket A silentboost, with a 30cfm 80mm fan :D The 9nda3+ had the agp slot spaed nicely from the pci slots under it, but I still lost the THREE slots under the card, lol. Lucky I dont use anything pci, cuz I only have two free now :P It was a serious pain that took 2 days to finish(broke drill bit, had to wait to replace it). I notched the top corner to allow it to clear the tv tuner, trimmed a couple of fins off the top right for the large capacitor in the way, trimmed all the fins on the bottom to clear the agp slot(that hs fins spread out...trimmed straight it *just* clears my chipset cooler ;) ), and made my own backplate. The backplate was made out of a slaughtered pci bracket cover thing I had lying aroung, two #4-40 1in metal bolts w/nuts, and two plastic nuts stripped so I can use as spacers to make the backplate clear the resistors on the back. I started notching the corner for the tv tuner with a jigsaw, and got really angry when the blade kept grabbing the copper. I then lost my patience and proceeded to take a pnumatic right-angle cutoff wheel to it ;). That got the job done quick to say the least. Other then that it was a fun, but luckily uneventful mod, except for when I accedentaly knocked a memsink off, and thought the sound it made was me cracking the core on the card *cringe*(took off the gpu shim a while ago)I'll post pics soon, but I just finished a little while ago and I'm not gonna open my case up again :P. It got my aiw 9800 pro, that could only do ~395mhz with stock hs, all the way up to 430mhz and counting. I havent found the max yet, but its artifact free at 430mhz core. I'm happy to say the least...now I gotta push it too see how high it will go, vmod it, then really do some benching ;).

..Now to test if its artifact free still at 440mhz ;)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: my face lit up as soon as I saw this thread title and your name under it. I was expecting pictures of some sexy soldering skills ;)

currently battling with my card. dang 6800's.. really starting to hate them (random freezing issues + black screen today :( )

aww, sry markie - a vmod will come soon though ;). Yea I'll post some pics...seriously this thing is enormous. Just went up to 435mhz, still no artifacts. Gonna push it further and see if I can break 25k 2k1 3dmarks :D

silentboost2jp.jpg

It looks bigger on the card...I've never seen cooling that makes the all-in-wonder look puny :blink:

Oh the silentboost thing!! I know the size of those, my brothers computer has one :) It's not very silent though lol Still, seems to be working good for you :D How did you manage to get it attached to the card?

How did you manage to get it attached to the card?

460176[/snapback]

Removed ~3 fins in one corner, and about 4 by the notch I made in the top-left. Then drilled (carefully measured/marked) holes on each spot that had the fins removed. I put the screws through those holes, and attached it using the backplate I made. It took a lot of planning, but it was the best way I came up with, without making the heatsink phsically smaller.

nice! what fan you got on it? the one that came with it? how's the 3dmark03 scores? :D

460181[/snapback]

Hmmm...I think its actually a fan from an old psu, lol. I know its a re-badged panaflo model they dont make anymore with 31 cfm (ran model numbers through google ;)). Its real quiet!

Oh, I'm putting up pics right now :D

**edit**

Pics :D

heatsink13fu.jpg

heatsink24rd.jpg

closefit1ur.jpg...close fit!

backplate11ev.jpg

...thanks to tornado, ramsinks, and my ghetto-sleeved wires, I cant get a clear pic of the backplate. If you turn your head to one side and squint though, you can just make it out in the last picture :lol:

you could work out a little support bracket to take some of the weight off the card, like waht zalman supply with some of their hsfs

460204[/snapback]

I did! Look closer at the last pic...I made one out of an old pci bracket cover thing ;)

**edit**

Oh, here is the 3d2k3 score...

3d2k30pe.jpg...not bad for a last gen card ;). Thats at 435/380(760). Thats the limit without the vmod. It's artifact free at that 435mhz, but hard freezes at 440, lol.