Noob To Linux

alown

sence i got a old 60 gig hdd. i want to put linux on it. but i hav no idea how. or what to download. i don't even what computer type i have. i386, powerpc, i64

I could really use your guys' help. Also i made a bet with my friend. for $15.

Plaese help.

compuer specs:

2000+ athlon

604 MB ram

80 gig spit in to 40, 40

60 gig

onboard graphics

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from my limited readings, and my plans to at some point do the same, I've heard that Suse is a great noob distro. Red Hat also ranks up there as well as possibly Lindows. I'd love to get some feedback on this as well, but I'd be using my sig system.

Welcome linux noobs, youve made the right choice! :D

I wouldnt go with lindows if i were you, too windows-like =D.

SuSE, and Redhat/Fedora are good noob copies, some people say Mandrake but I dont think thats that good. Well Here are some guides to setiing linux up:

i cant find the suse guide... somewhere here: www.novell.com/linux/suse/

Oh well heres another one: http://www.aplawrence.com/Linux/crousenetinstallsuse9.html

If you go redhat you should go fedora,

heres the dl page: http://fedora.redhat.com/download/

It is very similar to redhat, which's installation manual is here: http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/R.../install-guide/

Do some (lots) research before you actually start installing stuff, make sure you dont mess your system up. :D

thank you. i will try to download red hat or suse. if i can.

know i need to learn how to partition my harddrive.

those versions stated are free right.

what about slackware?

437599[/snapback]

Slackware is a great distro, one of the best in my opinion, but it is not recommended for noobs. I'd say go with SuSE or RedHat (all up to you), and after a few months when you know more about linux, switch to any other distro you want.

Alown, once you learn how you can do it in either of the linux installers. Just make sure you leave your windows partition alone (If 2 hdds, make sure hda is not touched! or you will be sorry :D)

NOTE: Of course they're free, thats why its linux! :D But on both things you need to DL alot, so you should just pick up a copy from your local comp store if you have like dial-up or garbage DSL :D

simplyMepis

www.mepis.org

437623[/snapback]

I'd say for a first linux, go witha more popular/used one, not that i have ne problems with Mepis, but it might be hard(er) to get everything working, and a larger community uses redhat/suse/slackware/mandrake/etc, thus more support. I think.

I'd say for a first linux, go witha more popular/used one, not that i have ne problems with Mepis, but it might be hard(er) to get everything working, and a larger community uses redhat/suse/slackware/mandrake/etc, thus more support. I think.

437629[/snapback]

your right i didnt think of that ive been using it for a few weeks now*in fact im using it now as my main os to force myself to learn linux* kinda know my way around it now but i started with this but thats because i had a friend who knew it so forget what i said lol

id say go mandrake

Edited by ThunderChicken

i tried downloading them using firefox, then tried IE. i could get on downloads to start. what the matter.

alos i thought of a setup:

1st hdd WD 80 two partitions both, 40gig

2nd hdd 60 I want to make 30 gig for linux and 30 for a fat32 folder.

so i can swap data., what do you think

hmmm...d/l'd the suse live-eval on dvd, starting up on my desktop and coudln't get past the boot from cd text. tried it on my laptop, went through the full suse load up, and then NOTHING. blank black screen. hmmmm.....either the suse eval cd ain't so good, i'm doing something or wrong, or what. i thought i wnated suse, but this is making me think twice.