Dual And Single Chanel?

ok, a friend was asking me if it was posible to run 1G (512x2)dual chanel and put in another 512, in slot 2, it would run single chanel, would it run all 3 dimms single?

also if you had 2x512's of 2700, would that be better then 512 of 3200?

assume all the ram is of the same make, jsut speeds are differnt, thanks

im not sure about the dual/single thing that depends on mobos,

and about the 2xpc2700 512mb /1x pc3200 512

DEFINITEEELYY 100% the 2x 2700 512mb!! u wont notice jack of difference if you had 2x pc3200 512mb ,unless in some benchmark/and such

but NOT games/apps TRUST ME

Hmm, dunno. Going from 512MB 2T (CPC off nforce2) to 1T on A64 is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiig leap!! Seriously.. games used to stutter like crazy at the start of level loading stuff, no where near as noticable now! Personally I would go with 512MB PC3200 and then stick another 512MB when you have some more money.

well your claim that theres no difference between 2x512 3200 and 2x512 2700 is bogus, huge difference. faster ram = faster load, nuff said.

2x512 2700 or 1x512 3200 depends on the app, if your app needs more than 512 ram it doesnt matter how fast you can load. but most apps dont so for small things the higher speed will be better.

altho im not sure that Mark's example is very accurate, studdering after load is usually a sign that you dont have enough ram, either on your vid card or in your system.

Edited by invidious

of personal xperience ive used pc2100 and 3200, dont notice **** in games,

so if unless ur gonna be technical bout stuf u cant notice then be my guest

this is just crazy talk i will have to be braindamaged to run 512mb 3200 over 1gb 2700

EDIT: now i hav the 2 funniest quotes

Edited by Enyce2k9

Get the 512MB 3200 now and get the other stick when you have enough money. That way you won't be stuck with two slow sticks when you want to upgrade your system later, and you'll save yourself some money in the long run unless you get DDR2 in your next upgrade.

Don't short yourself just to get 1GB of RAM now at the permanent expense of speed.