Why Is Linking To Ebay Or Other Tech Sites Not Ok?

gravy

just wondering why it is that ebay site linking and linking to reviews and such on other tech sites is not allowed here?

the mods dont want people just putting an ebay link in a for sale post, because thats basically advertising and spamming. its a rule and there are alot of people that break this rule

as far as other tech sites and reviews, i dont see a problem with it unless its linking to a guide that is already on OCC. but its probably just to keep people here and not go to other tech sites.

it seems that it depends on the mood of or which admin/mod is around at the time, but last time i checked the rulez say neither is allowed

i submitted a post linking to amdreview.com to a review that i did, and it got deleted

i have also seen threads linking to ebay auctions deleted

seems opressive to me

I agree that it depends on the mod and thier mood as well. Some mods dont care or notice while others are strict and go by the rules word for word. Most of the mods wont realize something is wrong until someone reports the post and even when someone does, its a mods decision. For this topic I think the only way to know what is and isnt allowed is to ask a mod, cause they should know and if they dont then they shouldnt be a mod.

Nothing is wrong with linking to reviews on other sites, people do it all the time. Though if you are saying "look at the review I did" or "my site did a review" then that is more advertisement and should be submitted through the propper news channels.

As far as linking to eBay, you should know the answer to that already, You asked the same question last month. Since that post (or as a result of that post) we updated the guidelines for buying and selling.

We can't take care of a post unless we see something wrong, now can we? :P I can't speak for the other staff, but I do not read every singe message. If there is something wrong in a post I see, I'll take care of it. Usually by the time someone reports a post to me, someone else has already taken care of it.

Yes, some mods take things a bit more strict than others. They're just trying to do their job. Keep in mind we did just pick a few new members to become mods so they are still new to it. Give them time.

Anyway, it's nothing new. It's been like this for years. What's the problem now?

first off i want to say thanks bryan for not instantly closing the topic and leaving it open for a civil debate/discussion, whatever you want to call it, i think that's great as so many question like these just get deleted or shut down altogether, i did fully expect to see this thread closed like the others when i came back from dinner, but i was very pleased to see we could discuss it further in an open forum

my motive is not to discredit the authority here

as far as the eBay thing, i really DO understand why you wouldn't want to allow anyone to post them as it would allow just anyone on eBay to come, join, and post once to simply try to get more exposure, and that is wrong

on the flip side, you can have a member of a year or more that has been a help here that wants to sell some stuff, but may not feel comfortable selling on an individual basis, like in the FS section, and may want the added security that eBay affords and simply wants to set it up on eBay and then share their item here.......which in that case sounds quite sensible and in my opinion should be allowed, and i think this has been mentioned before, restricting posting in the FS section to members that have at least a year or so under their belts, sounds like a reasonable restriction for the FS section, but for a member that has been here for a year or more and has been active, is a folding member, etc....to not be allowed to link to their own auction, just seems unreasonable, and i was just wondering why you guys feel that is the right thing to do? perhaps setting up the proper restrictions is not able to be done with the current PHPBB software?

now i grant you credit in that i have had posts i have started linking to my own published reviews on other sites, and they have not been deleted, but our very own members reviews section clearly states not to link to other review/tech sites, and my issue with that is that what is the difference between me typing the text in a post and linking to pics vs. linking to my same review which is publically published on another site, the only difference i see is that it is on another site, but if it is a professionally made legit review on a legit site, and it was written by one of our members, why would it not be allowed to be posted in the "members reviews" section?

i think you guys do a great job here, but i think sometimes that the rules are a bit too restrictive and tend to hold back the full potential of the members and thus the site

if anyone else feels strongly about these topics i suggest you post your feelings so your voice can be heard, i do not believe i am the only one that doesn't agree with some of these rules, but i do feel i am one of the only ones that feels strongly enough about it to question it, i am not a pawn or a marionette, not a yes sir, right away sir type of person, i learned at a young age to take nothing for granted and always question authority, because we all know the authority is not always right.....not trying to start trouble here

I think the reason that topics like this usually get deleted is because it's been answered...a million times before....gets redundant :-/...also...I think if i was running a site...with reviews etc...I wouldnt want links pointing people elsewhere..i'd want them to get what they are looking for at MY site...and to that i say...copy, paste, submit :-p....and about the e-bay thing well...I dont talk much bout e-bay anymore ::fear:: (inside joke)