Which Motherboard Would You Recommend?

Hi,

I'm new to the club and I have introduced myself, but I will do it again. My name is Yesu. I am glad to be here.

I'm sort of new to building a PC. I have been reading instructions on how to do it and I have read, and I know it to be true, that the motherboard determines what other components can be added to the overall system. So, I am just wondering about a few suggestions in terms of what motherboard I should get.

I am willing to pay $100 - $400 USDOLLARS.

So far, I know what other components I plan to add to the system.

Pentium 4 3.2Ghz with Hyper-Thread

2 or 3 Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Ultra ATA/133

Feel free to also suggest other components: Graphics Card, Sound Card, Ram and any other things.

Overall, I'd like to build a super PC that offers me the ability to multi-task without having to deal with the slowness of the system. Feel free to make any other suggestions. Your input will be great valued. Thanks.

Edited by UkJenT

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you plan on keeping the system for a while, or do you upgrade every few months?

Are you going to use a LGA775 chip, or a S478?

Do you plan on using PCI-E or AGP graphics?

All of those questions will determine which board and other system componets will be right for you. If you plan on keeping the system for a while, I would suggest the following:

- LGA775 650 3.4Ghz CPU or the 660 3.6Ghz model. They are pricey, but the most up to date and "intel's best" out

- DFI LanParty 925X-T2 Motherboard

- Your choice of either a X850XT or 6800U PCI-E video card

- OCZ PC4200 DDR2

Those are the main things I would recommend if you are stuck on Intel. If you have a good AGP card and RAM now, you can switch the board for a DFI 875P-T.

Thanks

Edited by Nuclear

Hi,

Just to help out those who are helping me out. I plan to use a P4 LGA77S and AGP graphics. Also, I plan to use my future PC for hardcore gaming, maintain important files and some 3D editing. Also, after getting the PC up and running, I don't really plan to upgrade it very soon, but I'd like to keep the potentional to upgrade open.

Oh yea, hehe, yes. My name is Jesus when translated into Spanish/English. ehhe, I've been asked that question a few times. haha, It even gets weirder as one grows-up with such a name.

Edited by UkJenT

Welcome to OCC..alot of people know alot about computers here..this is a great way to get a broad range of advice...building your system will have a lot to do with budget..the rest will be deciding what you want out of the system..Intel's are great chips..they do run a little bit cooler than AMD's chips..so thats a plus for you right there..If i can make a simple suggestion..make sure you have sufficient cooling in the machine..and at least 1 Gig of RAM in the machine..preferably PC3200 or above..OCZ does make awesome memory..for a higher end price tag though..but in the long run it will be worth it to invest in good memory..if you are gonna keep the system like the other guy said..if not there are others that will fit your needs without breaking the bank..also vid card will depend on if u are gonna be gaming or 3D applications..or just want a workhorse type of computer..doing mainly word processing and other basic apps..maybe the ATI 9600 XT or 9800 PRO those offer real decent performance at reasonable costs..

Good luck to you..

Will you be overclocking? Because the general consioncess is AMD's are better for overclocking, I know this gonna start an argument but for the most part this be true

AMD>Intel At Playing Games

AMD>Intel At Overclocking

Intel>AMD At Multitasking

Intel>AMD At raw speed and power

AMD is usally cheaper then intel.

Also consider raid 1 for back up, I wish I did this, basically 2 harddrives are written to like they are one, so if one dies, u have imediate back up.

What Kind of cooling you have in mind, Generally it is not reccomended to try water on first build. For Air the usally set up is 2-3 80MM fans, some combination of 1 blowing in and one out.

Whats yout max budget here.

All this would help.

I'm not too familar with overclock, but I've read up on it and it may be something I may do in the future. Also, I plan to install 4 80MM fans within my PC. Also, this is my Budget.

100 - 400 on MotherBoard

150 to 300 on CPU

250 to 600 on Hard drives.

250 to 600 on Ram

All other things, Graphic Cards, Soung Cards, Fans, all don't have a decided price, but I am willling to pay a considerable amount for some of the best and compatiable cards.

Overall, My budget is somewhere around 2500.

Edited by UkJenT

If you really are serious about spending $600 on HD's I'd pick up at least one 15k rpm SCSI drive. But you shouldn't need more than $200 for a mobo and I wouldn't spend so much on the HD's. Personally, I'd rather save the money and get some big IDE drives than get SATA drives, I got 320 gigs of space and paid just over $60 for it all. You'll probbly want to put more money towards a CPU too.

And to DigitalPhreek, AMD's have traditionally, and still do run cooler than Intels. Ask Bigred, I think it was him who lost a few of the newer Intels because they make so much heat.

AMD>Intel  At Overclocking

427608[/snapback]

I'm sorry but thats just funny. I don't know where you got that notion but p4s overclock much easiler, may not preform as well clock for clock but ocing on p4s is pretty dumbed down, lock agp, raise fsb, none of that htt nonsense..

Lol like, I said thats what Ive concluded from reading and being on this forum for like a year and some months, however we all have our opinions,

Anyways, UkjenT, start looking around at like

www.newegg.com

www.tigerdirect.com

www.zipzoomfly.com

just some ideas.