Which Motherboard Would You Recommend?

hmmm.... I'll take your word for it. I guess I'll forget about buying that board. Most of you know more than me. so, I'm wondering what is so great about AMD 64FX/64? Also, would you recommend a mobo for AMD 64FX/64. I'm also going to go looking around. haha, There seems to be a huge amount of AMD lovers here, which isn't a bad thing.

Edited by UkJenT

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The AMD FX-55 is the best processor around right now, it costs around 1k for a FX-55 chip. As for AMD lovers around here, there are a good number of loyal AMD customers like myself.

Well, if ur still going Intel

Hi,

Just to help out those who are helping me out. I plan to use a P4 LGA77S and AGP graphics.

if ur going to get a LGA chip... i think u must get PCI-E graphics, im not 100 % sure about this....

haha, that is what I get for not making myself clear. I don't plan to use the AGP anymore.

428861[/snapback]

Go AMD processor and MSI K8n Neo4 with PCI express. Very stable, easy to use, set up, and excellent quality. This board is worth every cent, and will have the upgradability you desire.

Well, if ur still going Intel

if ur going to get a LGA chip... i think u must get PCI-E graphics, im not 100 % sure about this....

428828[/snapback]

There are LGA775 / i865PE combinations out there for people that wanted to use the 775 Prescotts yet keep their AGP cards. I have seen two come from Gigabyte and Asus already as mentioned in my previous post.

UKJenT, your motherboard choice uses a socket that is going the way of the Dodo. Newer Athlon 64 and FX processors run on socket 939. Overclocking on the older K8T800 will not work well for you as well. There are no AGP/PCI locks on VIA chipsets till you step up to the K8T800 Pro or the K8T890 (PCI-E). Socket 939 also makes use of dual memory technology for the Athlon 64. You can also find 939 processors to be a tad cheaper then their 754 counterparts.

If you want to use PCI-E, you have to step up to 939 anyways. For a decent price, the Gigabyte K8NF-9 has been a very stable board for most people that I know that have it. My employer also sells a ton of them.

that looks good. get 2 6800gt if u can so u can sli them. that would be awsome. Make sure you get a big case cause right now i have a mid tower and i kinda hate it (wish i had more room). Also youll need a pretty beefy power supply, maybe a audigy sound card. A nice LCD monitor (8 or 12 ms). Also look ino getting (like stated above) a 72 gig rapter, fastest drives out to buy.

Edit: Question: On the motherboard aboce wtf is that fan cooling on the mobo? its on the top right on the first picture

Edited by Muddy

LGA775 and AGP is a flaky setup. You're better off to stay with a PGA478 motherboard.

The P5AD2 is not a bad board by any means, but I have seen quirks with some of its addon features, such as the ITE 8212F IDE RAID controller. I would avoid using that at all costs. Other then that, its decent.  If you don't want to spend the $$ on that, try the P5GD1 series. I have had better luck with those.

The only boards with 775/AGP that I have seen are i865PE based.  Those would be the Gigabyte 8IPE775-G and the Asus P5P800.

428606[/snapback]

I am not a fan of skt 775, cause i also beleive its on its way out, but if I were gonna go with it, I can use my ram, and my agp card with this mobo by dfi, which is supposed to be the best 875 chipset mobo out!

dfi